Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If you hire babysitters, don't do this

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 17-year-old babysits on occasion. One particular mom is not so easygoing (i.e., she's bitchy), but my daughter loves the kids. Today, during school hours, this mom texted my daughter to see if she could sit Saturday night. Between classes, my daughter checked with me to see if we have any other plans. We don't, so she told this mom she would sit. Fast forward several hours to mid-afternoon...my daughter gets a text saying, "Sorry. We'll use you next time. Someone else responded first." WTF???

There was no indication this was a mass e-mail to all babysitters. If you need a sitter, do you ask one at a time? Or do you cast a wide net and see who grabs the job? That just seems wrong to me.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom watches my kids. However if I need a sitter I ask one and if that doesn't work I move down the list.

michelepr
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Thanks, Chattycassie. It seems like the fair way to do it. Or at least tell the sitter that you'd love to hear by x o'clock so that you can have a chance to find a new sitter.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Yeah, that's rude by my standards.

mommyofthezoo03
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally would be having an issue with her texting your dd during school hours. Thankfully I have had very very few occassions to hire a sitter outside of family. I always ask one then if they can't another. I don't think I would be allowing my kid to sit for them again as I see texting her at school as  crossing some boundaries.

michelepr
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I understand your concern with texting at school, but to be honest my daughter does have her phone on during lunch. They all do, and it's allowed at the high school. But the phone is off in class, so it's not like my daughter got the message in the middle of a lecture. My daughter and I have texted during the day at times, such as when she asks me to schedule her tutor asap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN