Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Having problems with my daughters teacher

My daughter has ADHD and she's in 5th grade and I asked the teacher if she can just make sure that my daughter writes down her homework so I can make sure she does it at home.she said no that was not her job.When I asked her if I could have a meeting with her and the principal she said absolutely not .he has no say so on how she runs her class.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
karrahM
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Make an appt with the principal yourself. Did she deny your meeting request in verbal or written form? If it is an email, I would copy the principal. The teacher is full of it to think the principal doesn't have say...

Renilia
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Get her an IEP or 504 Plan in place. My SD who is 14yr now had to have something similar, she would NEVER write down the homework and therefore would never do the homework. DH and myself talked to the school and had it so that the teacher would have to sign her agenda book stateing that she wrote down all of the homework correctly before she left the classroom all throughtout middle school. It worked, SD HATED IT so she made sure to write her homework down and get it signed quickly and did her homework. She is now in High School and makes sure she has her homework written down everyday so that we wont make the school do this again. It worked. Good Luck.

texasjen
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

My daughter is classed as a 504 student, this has helped us a bunch !

Call the school counselor also, this teacher is being unreasonable. Does the school provide parent access to their web site to where they can see their childs daily/monthly progress ? Missing work listed ? I would be calling a few times a day also if no one is returning your call either. Also I would be sending emails, that is a documented paper trail. You shouldnt have to be going to these lengths to help your child with school - but sometimes we have too

its sad

wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If your dd has an official ADHD diagnosis, get her a 504 Plan. Ds1 has one for ADHD, and extra reminders from teachers is written into it.

Go through the guidance counselor to set up the meeting, not the teacher.

mommyofthezoo03
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:01 PM

First of all I would contact the principal and/or the guidance counselor. My dds 3rd grade teacher had much the same attitude but only didn't wan tthem involved so she wouldn't get in trouble. Request an RTI response to intervention. that is what my now 7th grade dd has. In third grade this meant that the teacher checked her assignment book adn saw that she had the materials needed to go home adn that she could not sit with her best friends. Last semester she was put in a special study hall where basically the same things were done. If an RTI is requested it cannot be denied. Sometimes and IEP or 504 will come of this. RTI is less paperwork.

Beachdeprived
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Gosh, I don't have a child with ADHD or an IEP, etc but I really can't believe a teacher would be this uncooperative and while someone said that your DD is almost going into middle school and should be able to handle it, she is still a child. Gosh, poor thing!  All of my DD's teachers were willing and so helpful with that stuff. We even received information at the beginning of each week as to what they would be working on, etc. so we knew in advance what work there would be and we got it either via e-mail or a teacher's website. Fight for your cause and don't give up!!! Good luck to you!

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Contact the principal and I would bet his attitude is different than the one she has....

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM
My sons high school teachers remind the kids and make sure they write down homework or snap a picture of it. I've had teachers send me a text message of big projects. This is without any formal interventions in place.

Sorry but it is the teachers job to remind kids of homework. It takes seconds to give a reminder at the end if class.

My college professors gave us reminders.

Quoting atlmom2: Actually OP's dd could write her own sticky note reminders. At that age seeing this should remind her. If not she is in a world of hurt in middle school and beyond.

Quoting HopesNDreams: No, I meant that no one wants to take the simple step of reminding her before going through the ton of paperwork. Most districts are willing to have their teachers do basic accommodations like reminders, notes on desks, email communications with parents, etc without the formalities of 504s or IEPs.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting HopesNDreams: 

I find it strange that no one wants to take that simple step before going to the next level. Usually schools like to avoid it if they can.

It's because accommodations come with a ton of paperwork and most school psychologists are already overworked. Plus ADHD alone usually only qualifies for a 504 plan and that doesn't come with extra money for the school to pay for accommodations like an IEP does.

Flobrooks
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Every body's kid now has ADHD, Asbergers or is "on the autism spectrum".  It's a tough world out there, time they learn to take some responsibility for themselves. They are getting older every year and when or if they graduate high school and get into the real world, nobody cares.

Lynne7654
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:41 AM
I am a middle school teacher and I have quite a few kids that we have to help with organization. It does get tougher to deal with teachers at the next level mainly because you will be dealing with multiple teachers. But many will be willing to help. That said, whatever organizational strategies you can come up with now are to her advantage. The 504 plan is the easiest and quickest that I am aware of. Also when she goes to middle school, make sure all of the teachers are aware. You should not have to, but as teachers we do not get the info about our new students until a few days to several weeks into the school year. I always sent emails to all the teachers at the beginning of the year for my own 3 ad. (Adopted daughters- did I do that right?) Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN