Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Having problems with my daughters teacher

My daughter has ADHD and she's in 5th grade and I asked the teacher if she can just make sure that my daughter writes down her homework so I can make sure she does it at home.she said no that was not her job.When I asked her if I could have a meeting with her and the principal she said absolutely not .he has no say so on how she runs her class.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM
That does not work with a child with ADHD. Meds don't fix memory. Consequences don't fix memory issues. It is the teachers responsibility to check individual students, especially if it's written into an IEP or 504. No one said to check every student. It takes minutes to check a few kids. Too many teachers now are lazy.

I'm not going to argue or debate. I have many relatives and friends that are teachers and they ALL check assignment notebooks. And some are high school teachers. That makes a good teacher. One that goes above and beyond to help students succeed.

Some students just need a little more help than others and they deserve the help.

Quoting atlmom2:
Quoting mjande4:

I agree with all of this.  I have no doubt that the teacher is reminding the class, what he/she should not have to do is cater to one special snowflake because mama doesn't want hold the right person accountable.

Quoting atlmom2: But not to remind them to write it down and check. If the teacher tells the whole class she should not have to check all 30 if they wrote it down. By 5th grade it is the OP's kids issue. No teachers checked. They told kids of homework. It is their responsibility. OP doesn't want to blame her child. She wants to blame someone else. My kids didn't have teachers check if you wrote it down or not. Teachers do too much hand holding as it is. No, college professors don't hand hold either. Kids don't learn and teachers waste time doing it. No wonder kids are the way they are now, and helicopter mom's don't help.

Quoting tyfry7496: My sons high school teachers remind the kids and make sure they write down homework or snap a picture of it. I've had teachers send me a text message of big projects. This is without any formal interventions in place. Sorry but it is the teachers job to remind kids of homework. It takes seconds to give a reminder at the end if class. My college professors gave us reminders.
Quoting atlmom2: Actually OP's dd could write her own sticky note reminders. At that age seeing this should remind her. If not she is in a world of hurt in middle school and beyond.
Quoting HopesNDreams: No, I meant that no one wants to take the simple step of reminding her before going through the ton of paperwork. Most districts are willing to have their teachers do basic accommodations like reminders, notes on desks, email communications with parents, etc without the formalities of 504s or IEPs.
Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting HopesNDreams:�  I find it strange that no one wants to take that simple step before going to the next level. Usually schools like to avoid it if they can.

It's because accommodations come with a ton of paperwork and most school psychologists are already overworked. Plus ADHD alone usually only qualifies for a 504 plan and that doesn't come with extra money for the school to pay for accommodations like an IEP does.

Mine wrote it down because I made them accountable and punished them for homework not done.  That made them remember because of a consequense if they didn't do homework. 

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:44 PM

This was my thought too, if you don't have one get one.

Quoting neveragain17: Do you have an IEP?

MomTeacher621
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM

ADHD is a medical issue, like any other medical issue. If this child was paralyzed, but could cognitively understand and participate in all the regular classroom lessons, should the teacher NOT be responsible to help this child write down the assignments?  I see this from two sides: teacher and parents of a son with ADHD. I see kids EVERY DAY who have difficulty paying attention to what the teacher says. I will say "Open your book to page ____" and three or four kids will ask me "What page are we on?" And these are kids who are NOT considered ADHD. Should I not repeat the directions for these children? It takes two seconds to make a pass by the desk of a student who you know is disorganized and inattentive. Just look over their shoulder and see if it's done. If not, remind them again.

My son has had extra reminders for years and it really helps him. Can you have the teacher assign your child a "homework buddy" to help make sure she has everything each day?

stacieleediugui
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Ok the teacher got back to me here is what she said ill  copie and past it I.......I forwarded your request to our SST coordinator and unfortunately there aren’t any openings for an initial SST which is the first step toward Maggie obtaining an IEP.  So, at the beginning of next school year make a request to her LA teacher for an SST. ...now what do I do??

mjande4
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

What does SST stand for exactly? Also, since this is a high school group and your kid is in 5th grade, the elementary group might be more helpful.

Quoting stacieleediugui:

Ok the teacher got back to me here is what she said ill  copie and past it I.......I forwarded your request to our SST coordinator and unfortunately there aren’t any openings for an initial SST which is the first step toward Maggie obtaining an IEP.  So, at the beginning of next school year make a request to her LA teacher for an SST. ...now what do I do??

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I think you have to work more on when the teacher announces the homework getting your child to write it down. Even ADHD kids listen and cooperate. What are they doing watching all the other kids write it down. Not being mean, just realistic. They gotta learn sometime to follow directions to survive and doing this is not asking too much from an almost middle schooler. They are never gonna learn if a teacher keeps harping on them to do it, or survive in a job.

Quoting stacieleediugui:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I always look at it this way. My job is to prepare kids to go out into the workforce and become productive citizens. If I enable the students, like many of their moms do, then I am not preparing to succeed on their own. ADD is an issue, however, no employer gives a flying fig about personal issues, they care about production. Learning how to successfully cope with said issues starts early. I will not coddle and I truly wish so many mamas would stop as well. The end result is not a good one.

Quoting atlmom2: I think you have to work more on when the teacher announces the homework getting your child to write it down. Even ADHD kids listen and cooperate. What are they doing watching all the other kids write it down. Not being mean, just realistic. They gotta learn sometime to follow directions to survive and doing this is not asking too much from an almost middle schooler. They are never gonna learn if a teacher keeps harping on them to do it, or survive in a job.
Quoting stacieleediugui:

stacieleediugui
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM
I know she is in 5th grade and should doing this on her own but she is not so now the trimester is over and her grade was all D's .Now we start our third trimester and now the teacher said she will make sure she writes her homework down.we will see how this goes.my daughter has alway had a's and b's and yes I alway make sure I know what she has for homework and no other teacher ever has made it this difficult.the teacher knew my daughter is a new student with ADHD she could of been a little more understanding.
stacieleediugui
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Quoting mjande4:

I always look at it this way. My job is to prepare kids to go out into the workforce and become productive citizens. If I enable the students, like many of their moms do, then I am not preparing to succeed on their own. ADD is an issue, however, no employer gives a flying fig about personal issues, they care about production. Learning how to successfully cope with said issues starts early. I will not coddle and I truly wish so many mamas would stop as well. The end result is not a good one.

Quoting atlmom2: I think you have to work more on when the teacher announces the homework getting your child to write it down. Even ADHD kids listen and cooperate. What are they doing watching all the other kids write it down. Not being mean, just realistic. They gotta learn sometime to follow directions to survive and doing this is not asking too much from an almost middle schooler. They are never gonna learn if a teacher keeps harping on them to do it, or survive in a job.

Quoting stacieleediugui:

do u have a child with ADHD?
stacieleediugui
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Susie and mjande4 maybe u should read up on ADHD be for u speak on it. Thank u
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN