Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Having problems with my daughters teacher

My daughter has ADHD and she's in 5th grade and I asked the teacher if she can just make sure that my daughter writes down her homework so I can make sure she does it at home.she said no that was not her job.When I asked her if I could have a meeting with her and the principal she said absolutely not .he has no say so on how she runs her class.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Replies (41-42):
mjande4
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I have . It's the MOST over diagnosed thing out there. I'll be happy to link you to multiple articles. 

Quoting stacieleediugui: Susie and mjande4 maybe u should read up on ADHD be for u speak on it. Thank u

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll start by saying I to believe ADHD, ADD and whatever else are the most over diagnosed enablers out here.  Everytime you turn around another child is diagnosed with one of them.  I feel in large part its an excuse for adults who don't want to take the time necessary with children today to teach them to do better on their own.  And I'm speaking as a mother with a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD.  I don't believe he has ADHD as much as I believe he has a lazy mindset and is set on doing what he wants.  His memory seems to work fine when it pertains to the things of his own interest.  But when it comes to what I want, he has memory problems because of the ADHD.  Yeah right!!!  All that said I do believe that there are some legitimate cases of ADHD and all those other behaviorial disabilities, I just don't think there are as many as society says there are.

On that note, I believe Susie and mjande4 are being a bit black and white about the OP's problem with her daughter.  Parents nowadays are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  If this mother did nothing to help her child she would be considered a bad or unfit mother but she's trying to help her child and she's being called a helicopter mom.  All the OP wanted was for the teacher to make sure the child wrote the assignment down.  She didn't ask the teacher to hover over her child to make sure she was doing it.  She didn't ask the teacher to check off that she wrote it.  Her request could have been as simple as "ladybug, did you write down your assingment" request granted.  That's all of 2 seconds of time.  2 seconds a caring teacher would not have a problem giving.

I am definitely not one for coddling, smothering or limiting what my children are capable of doing.  Some might argue I don't help enough.  But I do believe that some children need a little more attention than others and that's ok.  If you're fortunate enough to have children who need little to no assistance then good for you.  But don't knock the parents who are not so fortunate.  Teachers who are passionate about teaching and care about the success of their students will typically go above and beyond the call of duty whether its in their job description or not.  My son who is in high school had one teacher who would email the parents the agenda everyday.  I could almost set my clock by her e-mails.  She also let us know when a test or quiz was coming.  This same teacher also tutored and emailed the parents which children came to tutoring and what time they left.  She was a very efficient teacher and I applauded her for her efforts cause I don't know how she did it being a high school teacher with over a 100 students a day and this one elementary teacher with a class of maybe 20 to 30 students a day can't do it. 

My question to Susie and mjande4, what is the difference between a child who needs a reminder to write down a homework assignment and a child who needs tutoring?  I think if I were a teacher, I would rather give a 2 sec. reminder then spend hours of one on one tutoring for something I've already taught.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN