Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 17 yr old daughter is dating a 14 yr old boy. Not sure if I like the boy but definitely don't like his age.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi all, I am new here and looking for some advice. I am 40 years old and have four children, two of which are my children from my previous marriage (16 year old son and 14 year old daughter). My husband has two as well (17 year old daughter and 15 year old son). ALL living with us. My concern is that I am having trouble swallowing the dating of my 17 year step daughter to a 14 year old boy. And furthermore don't know how to make it stop OR just deal with it. My step daughter is sexually active and I am not sure IF she has had a sexual encounter with this boy yet or even if he has ever. She will be 18 in January. I met the mother of the boy very briefly. I don't know if she knows or cares of my step daughters age. The boy unfortunately I have judged him based on his appearance (partial shaved head, dyed jet black hair, piercings etc.) and not sure I have given him a fair chance BUT HE IS 14! I just can't get to know him like I would someone her age. I guess what I need is some advice, any advice, I am lost, scared, and there are 3 other children in the house. What should I do?

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmother5946
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I see red flags. You might want to check your state statutes on statutory rape. If she's soon to be 18 and he's 14. You might also consider informing the boy's parents about your step daughter's age.
What does your husband think about this?
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would find out if she is having sex with this 14 year old, she can be prosecuted for statutory rape because he is under the age of consent. Just because he is a male does not mean that he isn't a victim.

Deena521
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for the advice. Forgive my ignorance but what is the age of concent?

Deena521
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 4:54 PM

My husband agrees with me but really ignores the issue at hand.

proudmother5946
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Google your state's statutory rape age. Generally it's under 16 yrs.
Dad needs to get involved. Unless he wants to shell out big bucks on attorney/court fees.
texasjen
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this

All parents needs to have a talk with the kids ....

proudmother5946
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/.../statelaws.
I don't know what state you're in but this site may help.
Deena521
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Statutory rape age is 16. I will have a talk with her to find out what is going on. I agree with all responses and thank yall for the help. As far as Dad... I will have it in black and white for him to read.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Too much of an age gap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
btamilee
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I would be worried if I were you.  I cannot imagine what an 18 year old girl would see in a 14 year old boy. Usually girls mature much faster than boys, and by the time they are in their late teens, they are so over boys even their own age, let alone one who is four year younger.   Good Luck and keep us updated...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)