Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

SAT's -- to take or not take

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

My sixteen year old daughter is a HS JR.  She is not sure if she wants to go to college or not.  I want her to take the SAT's just in case she decides to go to college.  She says NO.  I think she should take the test while all her HS learning is fresh in her head.  If she delays college for 2-4 years, it would be harder to do well on the SAT"s in the future then if she takes it now.   What do you think?

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sisteroffaith
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I agree with you both.  Agreeing with you as the parent that the your teen should take the test is one thing and agreeing with your teen not too.  I am in the same situation.  By now your daughter should have taken the SAT and/or ACT practice test.  They practice 10, 11, and 12.  She can choose which scores should be submitted to any college interested.  They are both college entrance test that I personally feel should be done away with.  Our teens spends 12 full years in school and are being tested in more way than one.  Most student at this stage in their academics are fearful in taking a test to get into a college, another school that will determine if they are accepted or not.  Very frustrating! If she goes to college from highschool or if she descide to go 2-4 years later, college they will still be there for to take her money.  I know that times are different now from when I went to school.   But certain generations did not go to college first, they went on to work and I am an example of that.  I worked all my life and never went to college until later in life when my daughter started daycare, not kindergarden.  I now have my AA, BA, and Masters and thinking about the PhD.  In other words, I support and respect those that chose to go to college after graduating from highschool.  I also support those that choose not to go to college after graduating from highschool.  Some of the riches people in American do not even have a high school diploma, let along a college degree.  Is your daughter aware that there are numberous colleges that do not accept SAT or ACT scores to enter.  Thanks for posting your question.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM

my kids have always known they have no option. college is a must.   Since they were very little.  It seems to have worked cause both my teens are planning on college. However in school  PSAT and SAT's are required they have to take both tests at least once.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM

You're right that it will be harder to do well when she's been out of school for a while. Why doesn't she want to take the test?

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Yes, take them both.
Now my oldest didn't because she knew she was going to massage therapy school and would not need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Critter1976
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Thank you all for your comments.  

In response to why she does not want to take the test, she just says "I don't want too".  I think since she does not have a clear idea of what she would want to major in, she does not want to go to college, therefore in her mind there is no reason to take the test.  But what I know and she does not know or understand, is that in 6 mos, a year or two, she could easily change her mind and would regret that she did not take the test now. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Show her lifetime earnings of a HS graduate, vs someone who has a trade school or associate degree, vs bachelors degree. It is very different. Once she sees jobs she can get and works them she may see different.

Quoting Critter1976:

Thank you all for your comments.  

In response to why she does not want to take the test, she just says "I don't want too".  I think since she does not have a clear idea of what she would want to major in, she does not want to go to college, therefore in her mind there is no reason to take the test.  But what I know and she does not know or understand, is that in 6 mos, a year or two, she could easily change her mind and would regret that she did not take the test now. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Quoting sisteroffaith:

I agree with you both.  Agreeing with you as the parent that the your teen should take the test is one thing and agreeing with your teen not too.  I am in the same situation.  By now your daughter should have taken the SAT and/or ACT practice test.  They practice 10, 11, and 12.  She can choose which scores should be submitted to any college interested.  They are both college entrance test that I personally feel should be done away with.  Our teens spends 12 full years in school and are being tested in more way than one.  Most student at this stage in their academics are fearful in taking a test to get into a college, another school that will determine if they are accepted or not.  Very frustrating! If she goes to college from highschool or if she descide to go 2-4 years later, college they will still be there for to take her money.  I know that times are different now from when I went to school.   But certain generations did not go to college first, they went on to work and I am an example of that.  I worked all my life and never went to college until later in life when my daughter started daycare, not kindergarden.  I now have my AA, BA, and Masters and thinking about the PhD.  In other words, I support and respect those that chose to go to college after graduating from highschool.  I also support those that choose not to go to college after graduating from highschool.  Some of the riches people in American do not even have a high school diploma, let along a college degree.  Is your daughter aware that there are numberous colleges that do not accept SAT or ACT scores to enter.  Thanks for posting your question.

You are making a few very valid points.  One is that college degree is not necessary to live well, even now.  Does the child have other qualifications, such as a certificate that will enable her to get a well paying job without a college degree?  What does she want to do in life?  does this require a college diploma?  I would definitely not support a decision to be a stay at home mom without education.  Staying at home is a beautiful life choice, but in case things don't work out for the family, education is something to fall back on when one needs income.

While it is true that there are colleges that don't require SATs, good colleges still do.  My son is a HS senior, and all the colleges he applied to all required an SAT or ACT, the better ones even SAT 2.

Even though I am no fan of testing, with the variety of HS requirements in different states, different cities, and uneven levels of education even in one city (I am from NY), colleges need a standard by which to judge their applicants, as an A in one school is not equal to an A in another.

So, as a parent, I would insist on my child's taking the SATs.  Studying is our children's job -  most of them take the exam, and still have time for afterschool activities, school sponsored or not  I also don't believe in taking any exam when one is out of school - it is much more difficult to stick to the routine of studying.  As far as putting off the college education until 2 -4 years after HS, we've had this discussion here, and the danger is that that once out of school, it will be hard to go back (unless one has your determination).

butzi
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I find this sort of response interesting. I'm not sure how you can force adults to go to college if they don't want to. So really they do have an option... I guess the other options are so distasteful that no one ever chooses them.

Quoting Msgme:

my kids have always known they have no option. college is a must.   Since they were very little.  It seems to have worked cause both my teens are planning on college. However in school  PSAT and SAT's are required they have to take both tests at least once.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Take it now, you can always retest at any time.  Also, check out which test colleges are asking for in your area.  In the mid-west, they ask for the ACT more than the SAT, on the coasts it is reversed.  I would ask her to give a plan to you, if not college, then what?  In our house, we expect college if you don't then you better have an exit plan from the house.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Its not about forcing them as adults.  I've raised them with the belief that college after high school  is as normal as going to high school after middle school is. I'm a believer in if they grew up thinking they had a choice they would treat it as such.

Quoting butzi: I find this sort of response interesting. I'm not sure how you can force adults to go to college if they don't want to. So really they do have an option... I guess the other options are so distasteful that no one ever chooses them.
Quoting Msgme:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)