Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

my girls are always"busy"!!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
Am I the only Mom who asks her teens to do anything and I get can't Mom I've got stuff to do!!! Seriously!!!?? Get so tired of this response.
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell them, ok, in 15 min do what I told your. OR, whatever can wait and do what I told you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  I ask my teen to do stuff.  It's hard when they aren't home that much.  Mine is busy with sports and by the time she gets home, she is pretty tired.  Although, she certainly has the 'energy' and lately, time, to hang out after the sports practices.  I've usually said that whatever I have asked her to do, that it's done be a certain time of the day, or by the weekend.  If not....well, then I don't 'do' what she asks me to do. (like, take her to the store or buy her something OR pay for her cell phone...)

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine know that unless it's homework or something like a online exam that they better put that crap down and do as I've asked -and even then, if it's not a timed exercise then you can put it down for a minute and do your chores. I don't care that you can't save your game or that you're reading/playing/whatever. It's just how we work

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is not really busy I tell her it can wait, please do what I need now. :)

Carmen66
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You are not alone, my daughters were like that. So i learned to response back, when they are hungry or need something i tell then that i have stuff to do do it yourself.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Not really, my kids have consequences for not doing what we ask them to. They complain sometimes but it gets done because they don't want to lose privileges.

almostforty
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM
It's funny my eighteen year old is never really "doing anything " until I ask her. And it's me !! She is so disrespectful!!! Her Dad says it's my fault maybe it is. I get so tired of fighting with her.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Unless it's homework - take whatever she's doing off her. Punish her, no phone/computer/car/social life etc. I never tolerated disrespect. If she doesn't like it she can move out.

Quoting almostforty: It's funny my eighteen year old is never really "doing anything " until I ask her. And it's me !! She is so disrespectful!!! Her Dad says it's my fault maybe it is. I get so tired of fighting with her.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Nope., ds is in school, band, jazz band, clubs, scouts and sports, and usually does what I say without a second prompt.  I also give deadlines, trash has to be out before dinner, the cat box has to be done before bed...  so he has time to arrange his schedule a bit. 

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Than stop letting her use the excuse!  OF COURSE teens are gunna say this!  Cuz parents let them get away with it and dont stop what THEY are doing to make sure that their kids really arent busy and will say what they want to get away with not doing anything!!  If you want your daughter to do something, unless she is sitting somewhere doing homework, go up to her, ask her to do what you need her to do and take away any/all electronics - turn the tv off and take the remote, take her phone away, take the table away, computer off, etc.  Tell her she'll get the stuff back when she has done what she was told to do.  And the more she whines the longer it will be.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN