Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Affordable College Application Advice???

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hello everyone!

I’m a worried mother of 3 trying to make sure my first gets into a good college after school and was hoping for some advice! 

Is it just me or is it seriously annoying about these admission consulting people charging thousands of dollars to review your kids essays, resume etc??? I personally would love to use this sort of service but just cant afford the sort of money they charge. It feels as though its not a level playing field when my son is competing against people getting all this advice that our family cant afford!! Unfortunately my son's school doesn't  have the greatest career advisors in the world :-(

Are there any similar services where I can get someone who knows how to get into a good school to talk with my son and I about his essays?? I’d even be more than happy to pay a smart college kid who got into a good school to give some advice for a small fee (my budget is no more than $100) – has anyone else ever searched for anything like this before? Does it exist???

Thank you all so much and god bless

Jenn
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mjande4
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Does your school have an AVID coordinator or an AP coordinator? Those are two good sources who know what to look for on applications. Also, if you are low income, then some of the recruiters will do it probono

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I never paid anything to get my kid into school.  Call the schools you are interested in, do a visit and they will hook you up with an admittance counselor, they will help you if you need an essay, or perhaps just an interview. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:06 PM
It never entered my mind. My niece who writes well went over dd's essay. She applied to 4 schools with a 3.4 gpa and got in all 4. She needed an essay for only one application. I would think one of his English teachers would look at his essay. What schools is he applying to??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 5:34 PM

What kind of grades does your daughter, have, does she have any/many AP and honors classes, what kind of SAT/ACT grade did she get, and what is she interested in pursuing?

I have just been through the process (I have a graduating senior), we applied to seven schools and are now in the process of deciding. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM

The high school should have help there as well, my dd;s counselor was a great source. 

Carmen66
by Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Speak to the guidance counselors or school advisors. i never paid my daughter went to her counselor and she helped her out.

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Never new you could do that have him write essay and mybe show it to a teacher or family member in business world 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM
You can do anything you want really.

Quoting suesues:

Never new you could do that have him write essay and mybe show it to a teacher or family member in business world 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM

talk to your kids school college office. They may have resources that they just dont think about until someone asks.  My dd's school cooridinator is constantly sending me information.  Her school is really great about sending out the information.  We've also attended the college fairs  both the in person ones as well as the virtual ones. I'm also a member of a few college message boards and the students on those sites have been very helpful.  She's only a sophomore this year so alot of the info i get i kinda just file it away and will really take advantage of it all next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)