Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Visiting colleges?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM
  • 26 Replies

Just curious as to if any of you have visited colleges that your Senior is interested in attending?  Our daughter visit one college that is about four hours from our home, and now we are considering having her and my husband make the trip out to LA to visit the other college she is considering.  It will be a rather hefty amount to fly out there, but I feel that seeing the actual campus may help her to make a more informed decision.  Not exactly sure what to do?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh took dd to 3 colleges. Then both of us took her to 2 others. She applied to 4, got into 4 and attends he first choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest has only been interested in one college, it's a college most on my husband's side has attended so everyone has given him their personal experiences of it. He is so set on it, he decided to apply before attending. I tried to see if he would like my inlaws to take him to visit the campus before applying (I have younger kids at home and my husband is always gone for work), but he said no, he knows he wants to attend so he applied. He got a pre-acceptance letter from the college a week before he applied, so in his mind it was a done deal. He applied and got his acceptance email right before Christmas, his official acceptance letter came in the mail three weeks later. I'm glad it worked out, but I kept telling him not to put all his eggs in one basket. He has been rather smug about it all because he still got accepted.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM

My oldest is a sophomore so we haven't done college visits yet, but I don't think we would fly to visit one unless it was his first choice. Mainly because flying is so expensive and we can't afford a bunch of plane trips. If you can afford it you should do it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I agree.  We drove to all of DD's schools. They were 5 to 8 hours away from us, but near family.  That is why she picked them so she would be 1 to 2 hours from grandparents and aunts and uncles. 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

My oldest is a sophomore so we haven't done college visits yet, but I don't think we would fly to visit one unless it was his first choice. Mainly because flying is so expensive and we can't afford a bunch of plane trips. If you can afford it you should do it.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM

She has narrowed her search down to UNCSA and Columbia College Hollywood  (she has so far been accepted to these two and several others).  She also applied to USC, and is still waiting to hear back, she already knows that they only accept a VERY small amount of applicants into their film division.  Knowing she is going to pick between UNSCA and CCH, she really wants to tour CCH before making a decision, plus we are still waiting to get the financial packages from both.  Just not looking forward to the cost of her and her dad flying to LA! 

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We did campus visits.  My daughter did not want to got to far, so the furthest we travelled was five hours away.  We drove.

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Although we were able to drive to UNCSA (four hours), LA...is across the country.  She is trying to think about her future and what will be best overall.  She is going for film, so there are a limited amount of schools that come highly recommended.  None of the community colleges will get her what she needs.  I hate the idea of her being across the country from us, but I know she is the one who will have to make that call.  She has spent the last year living a thousand miles from us, and although difficult at times, she has done well.  We moved from Northern New England to North Carolina last year, and she opted to remain in New England and finish her Senior year of high school, and also worked for a month on an independent film being done up there last fall. 

Quoting atlmom2:

I agree.  We drove to all of DD's schools. They were 5 to 8 hours away from us, but near family.  That is why she picked them so she would be 1 to 2 hours from grandparents and aunts and uncles. 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I have taken DD, a junior, to visit two colleges close to home and am taking her to one next month that is about a 6 hour drive away.  It is her first choice.  She plans to apply to more schools but we will only visit if she is accepted, she decides she is interested in attending, and the financial offer is good. 

If your daughter is already accepted to the school in LA and it is one of her top choices I would say definitely visit.  My neighbor's daughter graduated from HS last year and was planning to attend Kansas State--already accepted, and she didn't apply to any other schools. She and her dad went to visit late in her senior year and she ended up hating it.  Too far from home, too difficult to get to (you have to fly and then drive several hours to reach the campus), and just overall not a good fit for her. She ended up having to stay home and attend a local community college for her first year and will go away to college as a sophomore. 

btamilee
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I think that her dad and I are hoping she will find LA to busy, and maybe decide upon UNCSA (Very busy filming happening in Wilmington (Sleepy Hollow, Under the Dome, etc.), which is closer to home.  BUT.....she is really leaning toward LA, as much for the business connections as the school itself.  Film is very rough, and even with an education, its more about the connections, then the degree.  Is it awful of me to hope CCH isn't all she thought it would be? 

Quoting Niccalyn:

I have taken DD, a junior, to visit two colleges close to home and am taking her to one next month that is about a 6 hour drive away.  It is her first choice.  She plans to apply to more schools but we will only visit if she is accepted, she decides she is interested in attending, and the financial offer is good. 

If your daughter is already accepted to the school in LA and it is one of her top choices I would say definitely visit.  My neighbor's daughter graduated from HS last year and was planning to attend Kansas State--already accepted, and she didn't apply to any other schools. She and her dad went to visit late in her senior year and she ended up hating it.  Too far from home, too difficult to get to (you have to fly and then drive several hours to reach the campus), and just overall not a good fit for her. She ended up having to stay home and attend a local community college for her first year and will go away to college as a sophomore. 

romalove
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM
This would only be the first of many cross country flights if your daughter chooses to go there. If this is a financial hardship, I would be pushing the other school on this side of the country. All of our college visits were drivable. I wasn't willing to have my daughter apply someplace that would require flying. Luckily where I live there are many excellent choices for music college.

Good luck to you. :-)

Quoting btamilee:

Although we were able to drive to UNCSA (four hours), LA...is across the country.  She is trying to think about her future and what will be best overall.  She is going for film, so there are a limited amount of schools that come highly recommended.  None of the community colleges will get her what she needs.  I hate the idea of her being across the country from us, but I know she is the one who will have to make that call.  She has spent the last year living a thousand miles from us, and although difficult at times, she has done well.  We moved from Northern New England to North Carolina last year, and she opted to remain in New England and finish her Senior year of high school, and also worked for a month on an independent film being done up there last fall. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN