Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

how early do you

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 30 Replies
Get your teens up for school? I have to fight with my middle son to get up everyday and they go to bed by 9.
Anyone have some ideas?
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mi_Chelly
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I try to get them up at least an hour before the school bus arrives. I got tired of fighting with my hard to wake teens (the older two, 18 & 16), so I have informed them I will wake them up once, if they decide to stay in bed and miss the bus, they have to find their own way to school, either pay to take the shuttle or pay me gas money to drive them. Right now neither don't have a driver's license due to family situations, the oldest is looking to get his this week, but even if they had one, we have only one vehicle and I require it, so they can't take it themselves. First time they decided to try me, I made them catch the shuttle, they just barely made it. Second time, they asked me to drive them, I said pay me the gas to get to their school (20 miles away), gas for my van is expensive lol. They couldn't pay, so they spent the entire school day with no electronics and helped me fully deep clean the house. I wasn't stopping my routine, so they had to go to the gym with me and actually workout (daughter HATES physical activity). Amazingly, they would push to the last minute, but have never been late again.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:54 AM

DS's alarm goes off at 6, the school bus picks him up around 6:45. DH is the one who's up that early with him and if he isn't out of bed by 6:10, DH comes in and squirts him with a water gun. Kind of mean but it works.

momof35219
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I think I'm going to try that we have tons of squirt guns.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

DS's alarm goes off at 6, the school bus picks him up around 6:45. DH is the one who's up that early with him and if he isn't out of bed by 6:10, DH comes in and squirts him with a water gun. Kind of mean but it works.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I get ds1 out of bed at 6:10, and kick him into the shower at 6:30. He heads out to the bus stop about 7:10. He's very much not a morning person- which is why I am still getting him up- but he does get up and moving when I tell him to.

An alternative to squirt guns that I've heard about is putting marbles in the freezer overnight, then dumping them in bed w/ the kid in the morning. They can't escape the cold b/c those things follow them every time they roll over : )

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Strangely, I don't have a problem with my 17 and 14 year old DDs.  They get up on their own with alarms.  The 17 YO started getting up on her own in middle school.  She is a night owl big time and it was hard to wake her in elementary school, but for some reason she decided on her own that she needed to get out of bed and be on time in the morning and she's been doing it literally for years.  The 14 YO I think gets up because it is important to her to make herself pretty before she goes to school.  She flat irons her hair, puts on makeup and is very fashionable so the outfit has to be just right.

My 9 YO is a different story.  It usually takes at least 30 mins to get her out of bed.  I have started taking away privileges as an incentive to get up so I don't have to run up and down the stairs 30 times every morning.  The one that works best is Mine Craft--she is addicted and plays it on her iTouch and the PS3.  This morning I went up once, told her if I had to come up again no Mine Craft today, reminded her that today is the one day of the week where she has no after school activities so it's a total Mine Craft day after homework is done.  I went downstairs and when I called up to her 5 minutes later, she was up.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM

DD gets up 1 hour before she has to leave.  She is a senior.  For the past few months, she was leaving later and later to school (we have extra car so she gets to drive it to/from school).  Knowing that she HAS to speed in order to get there on-time if she leaves late, I said that she is either behind the wheel at such n such a time, OR I'm driving her to school.  She HATES me driving her, so she has been more 'punctual'.  It is her responsibility to get up.  I DO knock on her bedroom door a couple of knocks at 6:30 AM...that's it.  If she oversleeps, that's her own fault.  Since you don't have the extra vehicle for them to drive, they should pay you gas, then, if they miss their bus....OR...work to clean for you.  Life isn't free n easy.  Consequences for being late/lazy to get out of bed.  Maybe they will lose getting to 'go out' on the weekends if they continue to miss the bus.

navyjen
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

DS is 15 year old freshman.  I get him up at 5:45 am he leaves for school at 6:40 am.  His bedtime is 10:00 PM.  Most nights he is asleep before then because he is tired from practice. If he doesnt get up I either spray him with a water bottle or threaten an earlier bedtime.   

Beachdeprived
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD is in middle school...her bedtime is 9 as well even though I have heard a million times that everyone else gets to stay up later. Well, my dear when you manage to get your own backside out of bed and aren't sick to your stomach from not enough sleep, then you can stay up till 10. She sets her alarm for 5:45 and then again at 6:15 and yet every morning I go in at 6:20 to get sleeping beauty up and moving. I think I am way too nice! Oh and we leave the house at 7:45 but she is what I call a piddler... she PIDDLES. How long does it take a 7th grader to throw on clothes, slop on some powder/mascara, brush teeth and hair and get out on the door... major PIDDLER!

balagan_imma
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM

My older 2 have alarms that go off at 5:30. I call to them twice. Once at 5:45, once at about 5:55. They stumble upstairs, grab a quick breakfast, brush teeth and are on the bus at 6:30.

Renilia
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM

During middle school we had made SD understand it was her job to get up in the morning and get to school on time. It took awhile for her to get use to it but after a month she got herself up in the morning and out the door on time. Every time she was late to school she would lose something until she she got to school on time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)