Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

$200 for prom?!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:38 PM
  • 44 Replies

It costs $100 for my son plus $100 for his date plus corsage, tux...Ugh! Isn't that crazy expensive?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope not at all !  My 2 boys went to 7 proms ! It was tickets, corsages, tux rental, limo rental, and afterparty tickets.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Our was $75 a person a few years ago. Expect it has gone up now. At a nice hotel ballroom you have to expect that price. Girls have nails, hair, dresses. Way more money, lol. Plus limo too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momwriter
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I'll probably have 3 boys going to 2 proms each (my oldest is a Junior). It'll probably be double that once my 5 year old gets to high school!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Nope not at all !  My 2 boys went to 7 proms ! It was tickets, corsages, tux rental, limo rental, and afterparty tickets.

HopesNDreams
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you seen the cost of the dresses, hair, nails, jewelry, make-up, shoes, etc for the girls? Be glad you have a son!
Renilia
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My SD's school has started this awesome program called the Cinderella Project. They have girls donate their prom dresses after prom, or any dance like dresses and give them coupons back. The coupons are for money off the big senior trip, money off the yearbook, and/or coupons to the school store. They give out the coupons determined by how much the dress costed in the frist place. Since the girls never wear the dresses again its a great way to get more use out of it and get something useful back for the girls.

Then any girls who need or want to get a dress from the program at the next prom/dance can pick a dress out and get a coupon to get their hair done the day of prom by the cosmo seniors/teachers as well as their nails done and have their pictures taken by the photographer club. All they ask is for a donation of $20 for the whole package. Its a huge deal in my mind and SD is excited to do it for the end of the year dance, we have already donated a few of her old dresses that were just laying around.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:13 PM
My dd loaned hers some, then sold them. My other dd was too tiny and no one could wear hers.

Quoting Renilia:

My SD's school has started this awesome program called the Cinderella Project. They have girls donate their prom dresses after prom, or any dance like dresses and give them coupons back. The coupons are for money off the big senior trip, money off the yearbook, and/or coupons to the school store. They give out the coupons determined by how much the dress costed in the frist place. Since the girls never wear the dresses again its a great way to get more use out of it and get something useful back for the girls.

Then any girls who need or want to get a dress from the program at the next prom/dance can pick a dress out and get a coupon to get their hair done the day of prom by the cosmo seniors/teachers as well as their nails done and have their pictures taken by the photographer club. All they ask is for a donation of $20 for the whole package. Its a huge deal in my mind and SD is excited to do it for the end of the year dance, we have already donated a few of her old dresses that were just laying around.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM

no thats just prom price then theres clothes limo photo afterparty ect

Beachdeprived
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I think you are asking isn't that just crazy in general...not necessarily in comparison to other proms and in that case... yes, it is crazy that proms are that expensive and people fork out all that money for the tickets, the clothing, the limos, the parties, etc. It's crazy that prom has gotten to that point. I feel bad for so many kids who can't compete with this and don't have the funds to go. Very sad that prom is not an affordable event! I didn't go to mine for this very reason... granted that was oh sadly 25 years ago but I knew we could not afford all that so I just saved myself the embarrassment and told my boyfriend that I didn't want to go. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM

The craziest thing to me isn't the money.  It has always been comparable expensive.  The crazy thing is these stupid prom proposals.  Even if you are dating someone assume you are going?  Not expect some elaborate prom proposal from them. 

Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM
It depends in the venue...is a meal being served? Live music or dj?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN