Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Rules for a new driver? Help!

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son (17) just got his license. He just took his first 30 minute drive alone with a friend. I am kind of freaking out. What were/are your rules for newly licensed kids? He doesn't have a car yet, btw; he's driving mine (which I'm not thrilled about!).

by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM

For the first 6 months or so we limited the distances she could travel and didn't really let her drive after dark.  She (DD, 17) has been driving for over a year now so we have relaxed somewhat.  But probably still wouldn't let her take a road trip out of town with her friends.  It is helpful that we have community curfews she can't argue with.  It is nerve-wracking!

EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Mine isn't driving just yet. But it's because we don't have a car that he can easily fit behind the wheel of. LOL

Our rules will be:

• No joy riding or racing
  • You get pulled over and get a ticket... you're paying for it, not us
  • Every time you use one of our cars you have to put a few bucks of gas in before returning it
  • No driving during peek hours (commuter times)
  • No leaving the city limits without one of us for the first 60 days (We live in a large town so there's no need to really leave our city)
  • No taking the car(s) out or expecting the car(s) to be available whenever you make plans.

That's all I can think of for now. But I'm sure we'll come up with more when DS gets his license.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Where I am it's 18 for a license.
Our rules are, if you're driving our cars then we get to stipulate when you use it and so on (after all, if you're driving my car, I get priority). When you buy your own car then you can do as you please.

That said, new drivers have different rules here by law, so I don't feel that we need to add anything to it.
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Mine had rules of their license. One teen in the car only. No night driving for a 4 to 6 weeks. Only local driving. No highway driving for a few months too. Mine had cars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessiejack
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Here the law is no teen driver is allowed to have anyone except brothers or sisters in the car for the first 6 months after they get their licence. I plan to follow that law as we do all the others.

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I hate when they first go out still worry today but they need to get out there and learn 

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM

In our area, with the GDL license (graduated driver's license), my kids HAD to be off the road by midnight (unless coming home from school related function OR work-related and were allowed to ONLY drive one other passenger other then themselves (unless it was family).  That made it easier on a curfew, as well.  We also had our daughter wait until she was 17 to get her license.  Worked out perfectly, as we didn't have too much argument about curfew time...it was the LAW to be home by midnight!!  We checked the mileage on the car, as well. She had to 'say' where she was going and who she would be driving.  I also wanted her to text me when she arrived at said destination (but that was rare that she took the time to do that).  Usually had to 'hound' her by texting her and asking if she made it ok. 

We warned our dd about any ticket she may incur that would be HER expense, and she did get a speeding ticket.  It was costly to HER.  NOT only the cost of the ticket, but the increase in insurance because of that violation.

The next step WE took, and may be extreme to others out there, but OUR dd was NOT truthful on her whereabouts, or what she was up to..so we installed a GPS, as well.  It is for safety purposes, mainly but we do check up on her whereabouts.  She has the freedom to use the car if she asks but her grades need to be AT A MINIMUM of C or above, with a GPA of a 'B'.  A 'B' average gives a good student discount on our car insurance.  If she does not keep her grades up, she does not get the use of it.  It is a privilege, not her right just because she has a license.  Once she turns 18, she can purchase her own vehicle after graduation and put her own gas in it and pay her own insurance, etc. 

gspot
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM
In my area our laws are pretty clear cut about teens driving . Such as no more then one underage passengers unless family. Have to be off road by 11 unless coming home from school or work. And accidents they suspend the license for at least 3 months. I think tickets might be the same i have to cjeck that one. I also am. Very stern with my other kids about being in the car with them. I have four kids and three step kids and at their dads they have a half sister ,one on the way ,and his gf has two kids so we have to be stern with the passengers so they behave.
Lori942
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:47 AM

My ds has been driving for almost a year now.  He does have his own car and we have been through the basic rules with him pretty much the same as pp's. 
OP I was and still am a nervous wreck when he leaves the house.  He has a 40 min. drive to work everyday and with the way this crazy winter has been and the roads being slick I have been a basketcase!!

mom2rhea-ann
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I am not ready for this step in my DD's life so she is not allowed to get a license until she is 18. She is fixin to be 17 in June. So one more year of me toting her around is fine by me for my sanity. I would lose it if something were to happen. Even after she is 18 I will still lose it BUT she will be an adult and I will be forced to let go. Right now I have control. (not that I control everything just this)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN