Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

missing my daughter and need advice

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

I  need some advice...my daughter is a junior in high school, and a good kid, hardworking student, and she just got a job at our local mall.

Today she worked 1:00 pm till 9:00 pm.....it was her first day....I missed her sooo much!

My son was home part of the day...he's 15 years old...they didn't have school today...

Tomorrow my daughter works 1:00 pm tlll 9:00 pm again, and Sunday 1:00 pm till 6:00 pm and Monday

4:00 pm till 9:00 pm.......I hope these long hours aren't going to continue....that means that she won't be

eating dinner with the family for several nights!  I know that I need to get used to it....a year from now, she'll

be getting ready to move out for her first year of college.

My husband works a lot of long hours, and sometimes has to travel on business..so that doesn't help ...

I do substitute teach, and I have hobbies, and friends....but my friends are usually busy with their husbands...

mine works a lot of long hours.   Does anyone have any advice....I feel bummed...now I miss my

husband AND my daughter!

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caitlin10081989
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:23 AM

The hours probably will continue as she will be in school during the day. Enjoy the time alone. Plan a special daughter date for a night she has off from work. 

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Hopefully those long hours are within the legal limits for your state. Here in California teenagers are supposed to only work four hours on a school day.

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

be happy as long as school work get done get use to it its part of growing up 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You are too into your kids to miss them like that at their ages.  Remember empty nesting is coming up and you need to prepare years in advance.  I did and the transition was easy really.  When I was a teenager I was gone with friends all the time.  Family dinners were maybe 1-2 nights a week if we were lucky. 

KW123
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM

My girls usually spend 6 - 9 weeks with my in-laws for the summer and my husband is in the Navy.  Once it works out that he left on deployment the week after we dropped off the girls.  I cried for 2 weeks.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I feel ya.  I'm used to spending alot of time with my dd.  but she's just so busy now.  She leaves for school at 7 in the morning and she doesnt get home from school until at least 8.  which should actually change till 9 pretty soon until the end of May.  she's also at rehersals on saturdays.  today she's gone till 7pm tonight.  I miss her alot.  thankfully she has a day off tomorrow so we plan on  a having a sherlock marathon together.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM

In high school they should start spreading their wings and spending more time away.  My kids are always so busy.  We try and eat together often though, sometimes it is a dinner, but often a lunch or breakfast  It does not always work, but we do try.  My dd is a sophomore away at school, and involved in so much stuff, we never see her anymore, she does not come home on breaks all the time.  But, it is how it should be.  My kids have spent summers away, so it made things easier for us.  Ds, just turned 16, is never home, busy with school, scouts and sports.  Get involved in other things, it is time for them to move on and you to be too busy to dwell on such things!

arkmomma06
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Hugs to u
ksrsmommy
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I can SO relate! As my daughter is getting older, she is so busy and always somewhere else. My husband travels quite a bit for work, so I have been alone way too much! She was gone constantly over spring break. I am glad to see her happy and busy, but like you- it's a bummer!

I try to carve out time with her, which now means finding time in her schedule to go to lunch, a movie, a mani-pedi, whatever. It helps to plan things out. I also keep a list of projects to do while they are gone. Things that I need to do anyway but never get to- painting projects, organizing things, etc. That helps as well to keep me busy and also gets things done.

Try to keep yourself busy. This is a preview of what college will be like, you already know that is coming. So take this as a baby step to that, and enjoy the time you can find with her, but find ways to keep yourself busy and happy with more time to yourself. Good luck!

mom2rhea-ann
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I had a hard time at first too when DD got her job. Oh how I missed her at the dinner table and our talks after school. I would go all week without seeing her. I work from 0700-0300. By the time I got home she was at work and when she got home I was in bed. It SUCKS!!!! Only days I got to see her was on Monday and Tuesday after school. And weekends after she got off cuz she would work day shift then. It gets easy over time. I will have been doing this now for almost a year. Thank goodness she went to part time and only works the wekends now. Good Luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)