Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Call from high school, that they were taking my son to the ER.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM
  • 28 Replies

Last weekend, my son had a huge fight with his girlfriend at her house. I did not know about this. He is 17. Mon. he told his councelour at school that he had cut himself and almost took pills. She called me at work and the deputy sheriff at school took him to the hospital. I met them there. My son wanted to admit himself to the pysch ward. They said they would call in a childrens pysch team to evaluate him. Instead the er doc talked to him, decided he was not suicdal and had us leave!!! Last night, he had a full meltdown on the phone with the GF, hitting himself, wailing, screaming, crying, swearing at me to let him the f*** alone!! He knocked down things in the house and almost threw the glass top of a table across the room. I didn't know what to do. His dad is not in the picture at all. I am so on edge, not knowing what will happen next. What would you do?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom8-18
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Take him to an emergency room, tell them he is suicidal, has a plan and is planning to institute it. Tell them about his melt down and request a psychological test. I went though all this with my 14 year old DD. But be prepared, because it is a complete roller coaster from there. We've been going through this for a year come June. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to message me with any questions.
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a restraining order. They are toxic for each other. I would have called 911 when he started to tear the house apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyofthezoo03
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do what I had to to protect him. Callthe cops if you have to. He is 17, you still have the authority to admit him whether he likes it or not.

mom8-18
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Quoting mommyofthezoo03:

I would do what I had to to protect him. Callthe cops if you have to. He is 17, you still have the authority to admit him whether he likes it or not.

Actually that depends on the State.  Here in Pa, at the age of 14 a person has the authority to decided wheter or not they want to be admitted, she could have him admitted, but he could very well turn around and sign himself out.  And from experience, forceably admitting someone into the hospital is allot more stressful for the patient and the parent.  And, it usually doesn't turn out very well.  Talk to your son, explain that hurting himself hurts you and that you only want to help.  Don't scream and yell, don't force things on him, at this point he is broken, and pushing him will only make it worse.  Like i said before, take him to the ER and ask for a psyhc exaluation. 

8chickens
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM

He's 17 not a child thus a childrens psych team would be of no help. The ER doc dropped the ball big time. Ask your son if he still wants to see someone.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have called the police to restrain him and then I'd have had him taken to the hospital for evaluation. I'd also be calling the hospital's ombudsman first thing in the mornign and tell them they are damned lucky no one died because their ER doc screwed up.

graybealgirl
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:20 AM
This

Quoting mom8-18: Take him to an emergency room, tell them he is suicidal, has a plan and is planning to institute it. Tell them about his melt down and request a psychological test. I went though all this with my 14 year old DD. But be prepared, because it is a complete roller coaster from there. We've been going through this for a year come June. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to message me with any questions.
mommersx4
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 2:49 AM

I did call the ER and talked to a nurse. She seemed very unconcerned. Mental health care is horrible. I agree the girlfriend is toxic to my son. She doesn't seem to care or realize how much she is hurting him. I am calling his school in the morning. His councelors seem to care there.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 5:02 AM

In the meantime, I would take all his electronics just so he cannot communicate with her. She seems like a toxic bitch. Seeing as your son is begging to be admitted, I would take him back and demand a evaluation/3 day hold like the first person said.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 7:22 AM

huge hugs. I have no experience but feel for you. please keep  us updated. Praying he gets the help he needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)