Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

”I know” and ”I understand” from 19 yr old

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 19 yr old niece lives with us. Whenever a talk to her about anything it's either ”I know” or ”I understand”. She does neither! It's like she took a class on avoiding responsibility. She used to be more responsible but lately is going backward. How can I get a different response?
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:56 PM
She either knows or understands, or moves out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoch86
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM

What she said ^^^

nana776
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Are you getting those responses in the middle of one of your sentences, like she is basically cuttting you off? 

wennyvw
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Exactly the same thing as the first 2.  Get out if you aren't going to "get it".

mom2rhea-ann
by Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Hmmmmm.....not sure what I would different from what has already been said. Either take responsibilty or find somewhere else to stay... 

digdug
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM
She's not cutting me off but basically ”yes-ing” me to go away. I'm giving her some slack because she's a good kid but I'm not sure how to motivate someone her age.
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Ask her to repeat what she understands. Try in for a week. If she is saying what needs to be said to get you off her back, and repeating the tasks does not work, then yes....see if she. " understands it when you say " you will be put the door in two weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)