Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: My 16 year old daughter has been teaching dance for...

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 16 year old daughter has been teaching dance for a few years. She's been asked if she does kids parties. Wondering what she should charge per hour? She would probably teach a group of kids a dance routine and they would perform for the parents. Any suggestions? She's been dancing for 10 years and teaching grade school students for 2 years. 

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Is this at the dance studio??? Would she be in charge of the party for 2 hours?? Would they provide cake and drinks? Most parties like that would cost about $20 or more per kid with a minimum of 8 kids. I paid this for Bday parties 15+ years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on if it was at a house/backyard or not. I would ring a few party companies; (like the whole having a clown, fairy, pirate, etc come to your party thing) and find out their prices and go a few dollars BELOW that (cause she hasn't done party training and isn't running through a company that takes the profits/money. I would ALSO tell her that if they've got more than 15 kids then she needs an assistant just to keep things in hand and that that costs a few dollars MORE to split evenly.

Sim04
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this
The party is in a house. My daughter was told its about 10 kids. Her job will be to teach them a dance routine for about 1 1/2 hours. Good idea to charge per kid. And good idea to have an assistant for more than 15 kids. I'm just not sure how much she should charge. I have a feeling news will spread. Lots of word of mouth. She will print up some business cards too. Need to come up with a price.
woodswalker
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:46 AM

25 dollars an hour.

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM

That is a hard one, when she teaches for the school is she teaching under a studio?  Like my daughters dance teacher is a teen, but she represents a studio.  So if she were to go teach children at a personal home, I would worry that it would cause problems with the dance studio.  Also party places are generaly liscensed and bonded, in case of something happening.  

I think it is a great start for a career for her, and would love to have something like that for my daughter;-)  Just be careful.  dancing

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

What seems to be standard around here is a set fee for up to 10 children, and then a per child charge for anything over 10.  For example, she might want to charge $150 for a basic party with up to 10 kids, and then $15/child for anything over that (that way, if a party ends up with only 5 kids, it is still worth her while to do the party).  Something along those lines...good advice to call a few party places in your area so you have a better idea of the going rates, but keeping in mind that she is young and not very experienced hosting parties yet, so she can leave room for her rates to go up as she becomes more in demand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)