Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Performs Well on Homework, Poorly on Tests?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 15 years old and in tenth grade. 

She always does very well on homework assignments, but very poorly on tests and quizes.

I just checked her grades online and in Geometry, she got a 96 for Chapter 5 Quiz Review, but a 65 on the Chapter 5 Quiz.  Her homework grades in the same class are almost all 100s.

I've heard of test anxiety, but I don't think she has it.  I've asked her if she gets nervous or anxious before a test and she says no.  I ask her what does she think went wrong on the quiz and she has no idea.  She always says she thought she knew the material and doesn't understand why she did poorly.

The teacher has said she'd sit with her after school to go over things before a test, but she insists she knows the material and doesn't need any help.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That was my dd.  She just had to study way harder for tests than usual and get good grades on homework, projects and participation. 

Math takes practice.  DH would give her double the homework usually.  That really really helped her in HS.  She actually made B-'s mostly in HS, some times better and sometimes C+'s on her report cards in math.  The more practice the more confidence and less likely to make careless errors.  Also it was important for her to check her work!!!!  We beat that in her head. 

wakymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Is she feeling rushed b/c of the time limit? She has plenty of time to get homework done, but has to finish a test/quiz within a set time. Maybe remind her to go back and double-check her work to catch any careless mistakes she may have made rushing to get done in time.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Definitely have her go for the extra help.  I'm going through this with my Freshman daughter in Geometry right now.  She has discovered that often, she thinks she understands something, and then it turns out, she understands it WRONG!  So she takes the test thinking she is doing the problems correctly when in fact she is doing them completely wrong.  (She is in GT and they don't go over the lesson ahead of time--the lesson is assigned, they go home and read the chapter and do the problems, next day the teacher goes over anything that caused problems. Trouble is, if you think you're doing it right, you don't know there's a problem!)  The only thing that helps is going to extra tutorials and practice, practice, practice!  My DH had her sit down and teach him the unit last night which was pretty cute, and it forced her to really go over everything and practice the problems some more.

amber3902
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I think this might be the problem.  She THIINKS she understands it.

I'm going to have to be mean momma and make her get extra help from the teacher, even if she feels she doesn't need it.

Quoting Niccalyn:

Definitely have her go for the extra help.  I'm going through this with my Freshman daughter in Geometry right now.  She has discovered that often, she thinks she understands something, and then it turns out, she understands it WRONG!  So she takes the test thinking she is doing the problems correctly when in fact she is doing them completely wrong.  (She is in GT and they don't go over the lesson ahead of time--the lesson is assigned, they go home and read the chapter and do the problems, next day the teacher goes over anything that caused problems. Trouble is, if you think you're doing it right, you don't know there's a problem!)  The only thing that helps is going to extra tutorials and practice, practice, practice!  My DH had her sit down and teach him the unit last night which was pretty cute, and it forced her to really go over everything and practice the problems some more.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM
My dd did the extra help route too, above the help dh gave her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never seen anything wrong with extra help.   In middle school my dd did very well in math but the school would offer extra help before the state exams and my dd would go. she always did very very well on the state exam and she says the extra help is what made her do so well.   then in freshman year geometry was giving her some trouble she went for a couple tutoring sessions and brought her grade back to where it should be. She was expecting trouble with trig this year but her average is at 105 for the class.  Once a month she sits in for a tutoring session for like 30miutes.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Youngest had a B/B- average in 8th grade.  She went in for the test help every morning before the test. You don't have to have bad grades to get help at school. 

Renilia
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Same thing has been happening for my SD. Great grades for homework but fails mostly all of her test. We put in place a schedule for her 4-5pm homework, 5-6pm free time (only if homework is done otherwise she needs to finish homework), 6-7pm dinner, 7-9 study time, 9-9:30pm chores (dishes), then 9:30-10pm free time, 10pm bedtime.

So far its worked. The extra study time has helped her understand fully what they are learning. She gets free time during the weekends no studying, no school work unless something was assigned. She is now on honors. She was failing before. Good luck.
AuntieV
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM

While doing the homework they hae a book to refer to so do well but are not grasping the concept if they are dooing poorly on tests. I am sure if they had Open booktests they would do fine. Perhaps a little extra work after homework to make sure they are learning and not just following directions. 

amber3902
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for all the tips.  I emailed the teacher and she told me homework is graded for completion only.  She reviewed my D15's tests and said the problem is half of the points she loses are from arithmetic errors, and the other half from not setting up the problem correctly.

I told her from now on she's going into school early to review with the teacher before tests.  She has a test today so I dropped her off early so she could review with the teacher.  We'll see how it goes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)