Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Prom and Driving???? UPDATED!!!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

My dd 16's boyfirend wants to drive them to prom next saturday. He just got his license like 2 weeks ago and is not very experienced. They would have to travel on a very busy expressway to get to the venue. I am NOT ok with this. However my DH is thinking of letting him use our Subaru to go. I am really NOT ok with that. He is not on our insurance and heaven forbid he were to get into an accident they would not be covered for medical treatment. They are very lovey dovey all the time. What if he gets distracted by her? What if he uses his cell phone or texts while driving? What if they go to an after party and drink alcohol? I know alot of what if's...BUT even if I forbid all these things that doens't mean they are going to listen to me. She has a rule as of now that she is NOT to ride in the vehicle with him while he is driving. 

Does anyone else agree that this is not the best idea?

Update: So the boyfriends mom and I have talked and she is not too thrilled with him driving to Prom either. Was a little upset that DH wanted him to show him how he drove and gave him false hope of driving them. I think DH just wanted to give the kid a break and let go of the reins we have on DD. BUT he didn't think to talk to the BF mom. After we talked she understood what DH was trying to do for them but prefers him not to drive. So we have made an agreement that Dh and I will drop them off and she will pick the up. Also if they are still together next that her and I will split the cost of a limo service for them as it will be their senior prom. That will be our gift to them (as we put it.)

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I would have gotten a limo. 

My dd went to prom in an suv junior year.  A guy drove 5 girls, LOL.  Yes pictures were like a harem.  Senior year they had a huge group so they needed a party bus.  They didn't have to get on a highway to prom.  It wasn't far.  Maybe 15 minutes away. 

I would NEVER let a teen drive a car of mine that wasn't my kid. 

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Wow that's tough...Prom is only for seniors at our HS so we don't really run into that problem.  Most of the kids have been driving a couple of years already.  I think I might look a car service for them, but I know that can get crazy expensive. I wouldn't hire a car for the entire night, just to take them there and then get them back home. I'm sure they don't want to be driven by parents but that's another option I'd suggest if my kids were in that situation and I found the car service to be unaffordable.  I'm with you though, I'd have a hard time letting someone who has only been licensed for a couple of weeks drive my daughter down a busy highway.  Especially coming home late at night...that's scary.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

That is all we ever paid for was to get them to and from the dance, not the whole night. 

Quoting Niccalyn:

Wow that's tough...Prom is only for seniors at our HS so we don't really run into that problem.  Most of the kids have been driving a couple of years already.  I think I might look a car service for them, but I know that can get crazy expensive. I wouldn't hire a car for the entire night, just to take them there and then get them back home. I'm sure they don't want to be driven by parents but that's another option I'd suggest if my kids were in that situation and I found the car service to be unaffordable.  I'm with you though, I'd have a hard time letting someone who has only been licensed for a couple of weeks drive my daughter down a busy highway.  Especially coming home late at night...that's scary.

mom2rhea-ann
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

This is their Junior prom and I am not to keen on renting a limo for this one. I do plan on going ALL out next year for her senior prom. Limo, hair, makeup, nails, dress. It will set us back a pretty penny. Just not this year. This is something she doesn't really have to go to but wants to. Next year, I have kinda made it mandatory that she goes. So I am already planning out what we need to save for it. Limo is the last on the list to price out and no party buses..lol

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd went to prom in an suv junior year.  A guy drove 5 girls, LOL.  Yes pictures were like a harem.  Senior year they had a huge group so they needed a party bus.  They didn't have to get on a highway to prom.  It wasn't far.  Maybe 15 minutes away. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Mine had limos for homecoming and or Twirp earlier on so it wasn't just prom or a jr or sr thing.  Party buses are not drinking.  It is just called that because about 25 kids fit on the bus. 

Quoting mom2rhea-ann:

This is their Junior prom and I am not to keen on renting a limo for this one. I do plan on going ALL out next year for her senior prom. Limo, hair, makeup, nails, dress. It will set us back a pretty penny. Just not this year. This is something she doesn't really have to go to but wants to. Next year, I have kinda made it mandatory that she goes. So I am already planning out what we need to save for it. Limo is the last on the list to price out and no party buses..lol

Quoting atlmom2:

disneyqueen
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Have your husband go for a test drive with the BF and see how BF drives on the expressway.

momwriter
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I agree with you. I haven't discussed transporation yet with my ds17 for prom. It's not until the end of May. He hasn't had his license for long either (got it at 17).

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM
If you don't want to do a limo, just do a car service. The kind you use to go back-and-forth to the airport.

Quoting mom2rhea-ann:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Our high school doesn't allow student drivers to prom. You come in the school's bus to the venue or a professionally driven limo or party bus, or you're not allowed in.

I agree with the suggestion of a car service. FORGET the Subaru. Your insurance company would CRUCIFY you if something happened.

Here in CA, he wouldn't even be allowed to drive the car with your daughter unless a parent is in the car.

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM

price car services doesnt have to be a limo they have nice cars 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN