Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are you buying your son/daughter his/her own car?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM
  • 43 Replies

My son just took my car out and I'm having a panic attack. He hasn't had his license too long. I'd still worry if he was in his own car but if he scratched it up I wouldn't mind. It's not really in the budget right now to get him a car...Are you buying your teens cars? 

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, they buy their own. We pay for the license tests as an 18th birthday present.
nana776
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I can't afford to do it right now, but I would if I could, but he would be responsible for insurance and I would be checking it monthly. No insurance, no car. Besides, car payments are cheaper than the insurance.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM

No.

outtamymynd
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:54 AM
No. We are paying for his insurance to drive my car at the moment( $165 monthly just for him). When he can afford to buy a car, he can get one. I'm not paying for both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 4:55 AM
Nope when he learns to drive (we have a few more years) he. An go on our insurance for one of the cars but if he wants to buy one that is on him
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I did but let them go out and drive first they need to get the experience 

teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM

My son was given a car on his 16th birthday by his grandparents.  He needed to have his own car because he is in college and has to drive himself to school and then this year (he is 18 now) he also got a part time job so I was elated that my in-laws were so generous.  My daughter just turned 16 yesterday and there is NO WAY that she should have her own car as she is a nervous driver and needs more practice, however, she is also off to college next year and will have to drive herself so she will inherit my son's car.  I say it all depends on the circumstances and how mature your kids are.

Linagma03
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope if they want one they need to get a job and save for it. Raised 6 and not one got a car as a gift. They had to buy their car and pay their own insurance, gas, up keep. They took way better care of it than if we had given it to them based on how they took care of the stuff we gave them as they grew. 

CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:53 PM

We will be getting DD a car before she goes off to college.  DS will probably inherit my run-around car in the next year or so.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM

We did for both of ours.  Any other car is on them.  DD 23 already bought herself another car at 21.  Saved $10,000 to put down. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)