Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What do your teens do for after-prom?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

Our jr./sr. prom is next month and we live in a rural town.  Our teens have nothing to do after prom but parties in their home or maybe hotel rooms.  Years ago the school had a "prom to dawn" party held in the school but at some point they quit having it.  It's really a shame that all the kids can do is drink.  I have not offered to host a party at our home b/c even though I know my daughter doesn't drink and her friends don't I just don't trust all these kids.  I don't want to be responsible.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Our school has Project Prom, which sounds like what your school used to do with the Prom to Dawn event.  I think if I were you I'd go ahead and offer to host something.  Not too large, perhaps limit it to 25 or so kids, but just have pizza and snacks and movies and music and stuff for them.  Swimming if you have a pool.  The reason I say that is I'd MUCH rather know where my daughter is than have her off who-knows-where.  She doesn't drink but she has friends whose parents actaully supply them with alcohol...I wouldn't want her to end up at one of those houses!

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Mine always had a party here.  Non alcohol one.  Guys had to leave around 2 or 2:30.  Girls spent the night.  They got here around Midnight usually.  They quit after proms at school too because kids didn't attend.  They do have an all night senior party the night before graduation and it was well attended when mine graduated.  I hear more and more are not attending which is sad.  Mine had a great time. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

courtseanryan
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd and her friends always came here after dances like prom and  homecoming. They hung out listened to music and I got food. for them. Her aunt asked her when she was 15 why she wasn't going out partying like she had when she was her age and she said they weren't into it( this aunt got 3 dwi by 21 and lost her license for 10 years and my dd wants to be nothing like her) DD is 20 now and still has no use for getting wasted and acting stupid. 

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM

The school is holding the after- prom in a recreational center with games and rock-climbing and stuff.

Hotel rooms- no freaking way. 

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Someone does something at their house usually.
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:22 AM

club in NYC and then sleep overs 

Carmen66
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM

my daughter and 12 of her friends rented a house at the beach for the weekend. They had a great time, they were responsible enough to take care of the house. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM

We have a great post prom party, dd went bothJr and Sr year to it.  Ds is a soph.  So, he is not going this year, but I will help the post prom party next year. 

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM

At our school, the junior parents come together to host a post-prom party at the school.  They raise money from the local businesses and hire a DJ for music for the night PLUS give out prizes throughout the evening up until the end (around 3:00 AM).  Our very little town raised enough prizes (nothing less than $20/student) for almost 200 students who attended.  We also rented blow-up jump tents and had tons of other games from a local rental place that specializes in this type of stuff for parties.  It is an awesome alternative to sending the kids off after prom to do who know's what and endangering themselves or others by drinking.  If you were to get a group of parents together and start this, I'm sure you would get the support of the town, as well, to provide a safe alternative for these kids.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM

This sounds absolutely insane!  You trusted your daughter and 12 friends to rent a beach house?  Were there any adults there?

Quoting Carmen66:

my daughter and 12 of her friends rented a house at the beach for the weekend. They had a great time, they were responsible enough to take care of the house. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)