Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Monitor Your Kids' Social Media Accounts?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

Mom May Have Stopped Her Son’s Murder With Help of Facebook

by Ericka SĂłuter

facebookA lot of parents are reluctant to spy on their kids. However, one Utah mom is grateful that she did. She was taking a look at her son's Facebook page and saw that someone had posted several deadly threats. The words were frightening enough to send her straight to the police.

"There were very specific threats that they were going to go to the high school and shoot her son," a police detective said. I can only imagine the panic she experienced reading those words. Bullying and name calling is one thing, but to think that someone might want to kill your child is just horrific.

She discovered the nasty messages a week ago on Facebook and Instagram from two teen boys who reportedly had it out for her son. Some of the photographs even showed a hand holding a gun and the hand had gang-affiliated signs on it. The entire scenario is chill-inducing.

Her first call was to the school resource officer to tell them about the threats, then the police. Fortunately, cops found the boys, who did not attend the high school. They also found a gun, loaded clip, marijuana, and lots of cash in their car. Cops say that gang violence in Salt Lake City is at an all-time high.

There is no telling what they would have done if this mom hadn't been so proactive. And her poor son must have been terrified after becoming the target of those thugs. This is one violation of privacy I hope he is thankful for.

Do you monitor your kids' social media accounts?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Sneakily yes, but she never knew about it. I would let her on my laptop and then say "Oh, you forgot to do (insert chore) here" then I would look around while she was gone. My daughter was extremely secretive and could get very angry (not violent) when she thought her privacy was being violated. She thought we were spying on her secretly so she changed her password and refused to use social media at our house instead using it at school and sneaking to the library during her lunch hour/after school to use it. My younger kids will have different rules for sure.

1sttimeflmom
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I do, I check their email and chats on hangouts. Neither of my kids have a facebook, twitter, or anything else so I'm good there. I also do random book bag checks when I see their grades dropping.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Yes I do.
I monitor his Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Kik.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Just curious - what would you expect to find in their bookbags?

Quoting 1sttimeflmom:

I do, I check their email and chats on hangouts. Neither of my kids have a facebook, twitter, or anything else so I'm good there. I also do random book bag checks when I see their grades dropping.

coala
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Mine aren't old enough for them yet.....you bet when they are we will be monitoring them.

1sttimeflmom
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I've found stuff they're not supposed to take to school... like certain electronics for example. I've also found letters from "friends" with language in it that you wouldn't believe.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Just curious - what would you expect to find in their bookbags?

Quoting 1sttimeflmom:

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I check their Facebook and Instagram accounts (I have login IDs and passwords).  They have Tubmblr blogs which I look at regularly but don't log into...they pretty much just re-post other people's pics.  I used to randomly check my 17 year old's text messages but I stopped doing that shortly after she turned 17 because I suddenly felt like I was snooping on an adult, LOL. And I also realized she was deleting most of her text conversations before I saw them. But I still check Facebook and Instagram to make sure everything is cool, and I look at the phone records and question them if I see an unfamiliar number.  I haven't started checking my 14 YO's text messages yet...she has her phone password protected so I will have to outright ask her for her password and she will probably be annoyed because she really guards her privacy. But all the snooping has paid off in one way--the 14 YO now tells me right away if something strange or offensive is going on with her Instagram (social media of choice), so that I don't find it and have to come and ask her about it.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM
I have the passwords but I don't check anymore. I never found anything and my dd has never been in major trouble. IMO she has a right to privacy untill she breaks my trust
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM
I used to but not anymore. I have his password but seeing he's rarely on FB it's not an issue.
SwtBamaGirl36
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM
I do:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)