Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

13-14yr olds going camping?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 39 Replies

DS just came home asking if he is allowed to go camping with a few mates this weekend (they finish school on Friday for easter holiday). 

(they are all 13-14)

I'm easy going, I know I am. Heck I'm not his mother and am only 12 years older so I suppose I give him a longer rope than most. 

I'm inclinded to say yes, he's a good kid and bless has been great since the baby got here. I told him that I would ring the parents of his best friend. But there is this little voice saying "no, he's 14"

I'm over thinking this right?

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Alone??  No adults?  No way.  Never, not even if they were 16. 

Beachdeprived
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Your are not his mother and you are only 12 years old so you are supposed to give him a longer rope? That statement baffles me and comes off sounding like "heck, he's not mine so I don't care and geez, I'm barely older than he is!"  If that is the case, then perhaps you should not be making this decision for him quite honestly. Perhaps his father should. Whether he is your son or stepson and whether you are 30 years older than him or 12 years older, you are an adult and giving him a longer rope does not seem justifiable. No way would a 14 year old child of mine be allowed to go camping without adults present. A million horrific scenarios come to mind!

Lori942
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

13 & 14 y/o camping alone with no adults?  What does his dad say? 

StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Not his dad but DH isnt home yet from work

Quoting Lori942:

StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

His mum and dad are dead. I know I give him a longer rope because on one hand I am his (ex) step-sister and so have a sibling relationship with him but on the other am also trying to do the parent role

Quoting Beachdeprived:

Your are not his mother and you are only 12 years old so you are supposed to give him a longer rope? That statement baffles me and comes off sounding like "heck, he's not mine so I don't care and geez, I'm barely older than he is!"  If that is the case, then perhaps you should not be making this decision for him quite honestly. Perhaps his father should. Whether he is your son or stepson and whether you are 30 years older than him or 12 years older, you are an adult and giving him a longer rope does not seem justifiable. No way would a 14 year old child of mine be allowed to go camping without adults present. A million horrific scenarios come to mind!

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

You had him at 12?  Um..unsupervised?!?!?  really??

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM

She's not his mother.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Ahh...that makes more sense!!  Um...still not in favor of unsupervised camping.  It would be one thing if they were pitching a tent on someone's farm...but someone could keep an eye on them. 

Quoting atlmom2:

She's not his mother.

Quoting my2kidsmom9498:

Lori942
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Oh ok...I just read that his mom & dad have passed away.  Anyway I personally feel this is too young to do without adult supervision.

Quoting StreetsAhead:

Not his dad but DH isnt home yet from work

Quoting Lori942:

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I am involved in scouting and while our scouts can take off on hikes and such without an adult leader, we are always fairly close to keep an eye on them.  Also, most campgrounds will not allow minors to stay unsupervized. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)