Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Anxiety, Depression and Medication

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone had a teenager on Prozac?  15 yo daughter has been seeing a therapist on and off for a while, but steadily since January.  She tried to harm herself which we found out when the police came to our house for a wellness check and started cutting again.  Her therapist suggested we have her see a psychiatrist for a medicine evaluation.  He suggested Prozac, 1/2 tablet daily (5 mg).  I am not a fan of medication, but she definitely needs help as schoolwork is rapidly deteriorating.  She thinks this will help and is open to it so I am hoping between the medicine and thinking it is helping, she will feel better.  Issues?  Problems?  What should I be aware of?

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM

If she is willing to take it, she has taken the first step in admitting a problem and asking for help.  I wouldn't stand in her way.  You never know, just thinking it will help may actually help.  I would let her take it.  It is much better than cutting and hurting herself.  I was on it and it didn't work for me, but mine was for anxiety not depression.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I took it at 21 and was bouncing off the walls. So I was taken off of it. Then tried it again at 31 an had the direct opposite reaction but not to a dangerous point. 

romalove
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:08 AM
My daughter has depression and also was doing some self harm. Prozac has been a lifesaver. I think the dose you are talking about is likely too small to help much. We started at 10, but it was raised a little. Good luck to you.
SAMandy
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Try anything that is offered. My 15 yr old was just admitted to an adolescent psychiatric facility a few days ago for depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. She's been on many meds over the years and we thought she was stable. She's never been on Prozac for some reason. But the shock, devastation and self doubt that I'm going through, I wouldn't wish on any other mom. She's an hour away and we're only allowed a short visit daily. Get her the help - if Prozac doesn't work, it can be switched out. Lexapro is also good and Zoloft is excellent with both depression and anxiety. Good luck.

btamilee
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Our daughter also suffers from Anxiety and Depression and was on medication for about a year.  She made the decision about six months ago to wean herself off her daily medication.  She felt that even with the lowest dose of her medication, she was feeling *nothing*.  She did not like the feeling of no emotion at all.  She is doing okay now, although still has some bouts with anxiety.  Her doctor and therapist both were actually fine with her decision.  I think medications work differently, for different people.  She was on Zoloft. 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM
I've been on prozac for 6 years and i have no side effects. my 15 yr old son has been on 40mgs prozac for a couple years and he has no side effects. it has helped his anxiety and depression a lot.
lazyd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

My 15yo daughter is on abilify 15mg & prozac 30mg.  5mg of prozac for your daughter is very low.  It might not do anything at all.  My daughter has anxiety and depression for a couple of years.  She started with cutting and several months ago was admitted to a psych ward - but thats not cuz of the meds she was on.  My daughter also wants to wean herself off of the drugs, but realizes she cant right now, cuz she is just dealing with too many emotional life difficulties right now.  The meds do work and my daughter hasnt had any bad side effects but all people are different and what one med works for one person may not work for another.  It is trail n error.  Maybe some day when my daughter is a lot older and she can cope better than she can get off meds.    

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I would not stand in her way of getting help, since she is willing to try something.  My son deals with anxiety and depression and has been on everything you can just about name.  He's had side effects with everything, so would go off of meds after a short trial.  He is not taking anything now, after 8 years, but is still very depressed and suffer w/anxiety. 

teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Hugs, momma.  Take good care of yourself as you navigate this really tough time.

Quoting SAMandy:

Try anything that is offered. My 15 yr old was just admitted to an adolescent psychiatric facility a few days ago for depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. She's been on many meds over the years and we thought she was stable. She's never been on Prozac for some reason. But the shock, devastation and self doubt that I'm going through, I wouldn't wish on any other mom. She's an hour away and we're only allowed a short visit daily. Get her the help - if Prozac doesn't work, it can be switched out. Lexapro is also good and Zoloft is excellent with both depression and anxiety. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN