Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would you ever.....

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 35 Replies

Send your teen to a place for troubled teens? If so what would be the final straw that would push you in this direction?

Im just curious. As I have thought about this numerous of times. Just wondering if others have ever felt this way. 

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Do places like that still exist?
JerrysMom2011
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Yes there is a lot around. There is one that is religion focused in GA

Quoting cybcm: Do places like that still exist?

JessicaR7
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I actually sent my daughter to an intensive residential treatment facility in Utah for a 100 day program.  It was not covered by insurance so we paid a lot of money and hoped to recoup some of our money but that did not happen.  For us the last straw was her running away, self-destructive behavior, and drug use.  At that point her path was death or jail.  I could handle jail but not death.  Our situation was dire to seek that kind of treatment.  Most people don't understand that until they've lived it.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:06 PM
If needed yes, but it would have to be a series of behaviors to warrant that.
JerrysMom2011
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I bet that was hard. There is a  program in Geogria thats an acadamey that teaches life skills and does therapy and everything. Its religious and you begin by living "in the wilderness" in a cabin with just the basics, no phone, no internet, no nothing. You earn your way to living on campus and getting a part time job etc. They teach you how to build things. You can earn your high school diploma and they prepare you for the SATs. 

I am thinking about this, they will even come and pick him up. Its a big decision and one that Im not taking lightly so I thought if I talked to others or got others thought on this situation it might help. My DH is all for it. Of course other members of the family are against it because "hes just being a teen" but I have two little ones and possibly another on the way. I cant risk him having one of his "teen moments' and him harm my other babies. 

I have tried other means but he just...ignores and pretends like he can do whatever he wants and he is in control of his life etc. Like tonight. We had grounded him from his phone this past weekend, his aunt bought it for him so she keeps it in her lock box when we take it from him (long story as to why its this way) ..well tonight he decided he was ungrounded from his phone. I caught him with it outside talking on it. I told him that he disrespected me by taking the phone without permission (we are working on this with him) and he doesnt see it, its 'his phone" we took it away for a stupid reason so he should have it back whenever he wants it back. Which the reason we took it away this weekend is because he refused to get up off the couch and be active instead of texting on it 24/7 past his curfew and. I was tired of his attiude when we tell him to do something when he does have his phone and he was caught sexting.

He got mad, called me a horrible SM wished I would die and proceeded to punch a hole in my wall the size of small child. He has done drugs, disreguards rules, defies authority, steals etc. He has AT LEAST one "teen moment" every few weeks on top of that. 

Sorry for my long reply, but anyways I dont know how much more I can handle and if I can do this another 3 years. 

***EDITED TO SAY IM HIS SM BUT ALSO LEGAL GUARDIAN****

Quoting JessicaR7:

I actually sent my daughter to an intensive residential treatment facility in Utah for a 100 day program.  It was not covered by insurance so we paid a lot of money and hoped to recoup some of our money but that did not happen.  For us the last straw was her running away, self-destructive behavior, and drug use.  At that point her path was death or jail.  I could handle jail but not death.  Our situation was dire to seek that kind of treatment.  Most people don't understand that until they've lived it.

JessicaR7
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Disregarding the rules of the house, disrespecting you, and trying to intimidate you by punching a hole in the wall, not to mention the property damage...those are all good reason to seek intervention. In our case, the program we sent our daughter to helped hit the 'reset' button. It was a huge wake up call for her as well in regard to the behaviors we were not willing to accept. I would read the good and bad reviews regarding the program so you can make the best decision for your family. I definitely wish you the best...I know it's hard.

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

I bet that was hard. There is a  program in Geogria thats an acadamey that teaches life skills and does therapy and everything. Its religious and you begin by living "in the wilderness" in a cabin with just the basics, no phone, no internet, no nothing. You earn your way to living on campus and getting a part time job etc. They teach you how to build things. You can earn your high school diploma and they prepare you for the SATs. 

I am thinking about this, they will even come and pick him up. Its a big decision and one that Im not taking lightly so I thought if I talked to others or got others thought on this situation it might help. My DH is all for it. Of course other members of the family are against it because "hes just being a teen" but I have two little ones and possibly another on the way. I cant risk him having one of his "teen moments' and him harm my other babies. 

I have tried other means but he just...ignores and pretends like he can do whatever he wants and he is in control of his life etc. Like tonight. We had grounded him from his phone this past weekend, his aunt bought it for him so she keeps it in her lock box when we take it from him (long story as to why its this way) ..well tonight he decided he was ungrounded from his phone. I caught him with it outside talking on it. I told him that he disrespected me by taking the phone without permission (we are working on this with him) and he doesnt see it, its 'his phone" we took it away for a stupid reason so he should have it back whenever he wants it back. Which the reason we took it away this weekend is because he refused to get up off the couch and be active instead of texting on it 24/7 past his curfew and. I was tired of his attiude when we tell him to do something when he does have his phone and he was caught sexting.

He got mad, called me a horrible SM wished I would die and proceeded to punch a hole in my wall the size of small child. He has done drugs, disreguards rules, defies authority, steals etc. He has AT LEAST one "teen moment" every few weeks on top of that. 

Sorry for my long reply, but anyways I dont know how much more I can handle and if I can do this another 3 years. 

Quoting JessicaR7:

JerrysMom2011
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

We just got done having a conversation about why he is grounded and he goes off on my cussing at me and everything and saying that he does so much more around the house to get respect (he does chores at his convience which is trash and the cat litter box) he thinks carrying in the groceries and helping me do laundry at the laundry mat is earning respect.....he also says "your always on the phone so dont ******** go there Michelle" which im not, but he thinks thats a viable agurment as to why he can be on it all the time. Ive been trying to show him the difference between being an adult and being a teen...but hes not making the connection

Thank you for your reply though I appreciate it

Quoting JessicaR7: Disregarding the rules of the house, disrespecting you, and trying to intimidate you by punching a hole in the wall, not to mention the property damage...those are all good reason to seek intervention. In our case, the program we sent our daughter to helped hit the 'reset' button. It was a huge wake up call for her as well in regard to the behaviors we were not willing to accept. I would read the good and bad reviews regarding the program so you can make the best decision for your family. I definitely wish you the best...I know it's hard.
Quoting JerrysMom2011:

Quoting JessicaR7:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I would except for the price, I simply can't afford them.  As far as the last straw, my son hit it already.  Constant lies, stealing, etc.  Makes our lives miserable.

mommyofthezoo03
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I am very familiar with a program called Teen Challenge. We are trying to get my nephew in to one of the locations but it isn't cheap and there is a waiting list. In our area there are 2 group homes but a judge has to recommend them. My bil loves his 2 teens but enough is enough. The lies, drugs, drinking, violence is all too much.

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM

if i had tried all other stuff and dr agreed yes i would

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN