Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What are your teens doing this summer?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 24 Replies

My 14 year old needs to find something to do but some free time is fine; he needs it. My 17 year old needs to find a part time job that works around his soccer schedule. What are your teens doing?

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM

We only get 6 weeks

He'll spend 10/14 days in Germany. We will all go on holiday as well. Apart from that hang out with his friends doing stuff

mowammee
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Mowammee's DD! I am a more than full time college student.

I am doing study abroad in Europe that will take up most of July, and it has a lot of prep. Hopefully we can get the pool open in time and I can go swimming. I have a big dance reciatl taking up most of May. In June I would love to go to the lake and see the Miss TN pageant. I will also be working on building my photography portfolio, in addition to preparing for this years state fair.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I'm not sure yet. We're moving at the end of July so I want them out of my hair while I'm packing, but I also want their help, lol.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:44 PM

As a mom whose moved a million times both as a kid an and adult -the best thing to do is get them to pack up ALL of their things, and then get them each to help you with one room (so one helps you in the loungeroom, the other in the kitchen, etc.) It gets it done so much faster. I have a nerd (lol!) who LOVES packing so normally I have to tell her to stop packing and take a break.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I'm not sure yet. We're moving at the end of July so I want them out of my hair while I'm packing, but I also want their help, lol.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

14 is a VERY hard age for things to do in the summer.  There were 'volunteer' camps around our area, which I made my dd sign up for.  They were run by the community parks and recreation department.  It was a great experience for her, she got to go on the trips the kids in the camps went on while supervising AND it turned in to a great job reference for her! 

The 17 year old NEEDS a summer job.  Fun time is starting to end for that age and real-life work begins.  Fast food restaurants can offer flexible hours, if that's what your 17 year old needs.  All 3 of my kids had summer jobs by the time they were 15-16.  No excuses.  Even cleaning hotel rooms wasn't off-limits, as one of my kids had to do.  Teaches them work ethics and appreciation for the hours of labor you spend working while they spend YOUR hard-earned money.

romalove
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM
My daughter is 18. She will be working for 7 weeks at a half day theater camp as the music director. The evenings she is music director for a charity organization that puts on shows to raise money for the local special needs program. This is also the summer between high school and college so she will do an overnight orientation, and spend time getting her stuff in order for dorming,

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM

We will be moving in May so this summer they will be job hunting, getting set up at the community college whwere we will be moving, and all the other things that go along with moving. 

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Ds is going away to high adventure camp and boy scout camp. He will have lacrosse camp then go away to band camp. He is 16.
teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

My 18 yo just finished up a part time job at our local mountain working as a cashier. He is now working as a part time tile cutter and stone polisher for an artist who does mosaic artwork.  He will be adding another part time job this summer doing heavy construction work.  My 16 yo is thinking about working as a seasonal berry worker, but I might also be able to get her some work as a costume designer at a local theatre (she loves costumes and sewing and is actually quite good at it)

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Ds1, 15, will be going to 1 wk of Boy Scout camp, taking P.E. online (health stuff and keeping an exercise log), reviewing Spanish since he has to retake Spanish 2 next school yr, and maybe working a few days at our coffee shop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)