Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teens watching younger sibs question

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

My kids have Spring break this week and my uncle just told me the work schedule (I'm working Tues, Wed, Thurs). I just started working for him in Feb and haven't had any issues with my 5 yr old (except for 1 sick day) until now. i only make $10/hr; what would you pay your teens to babysit if you made that little? I think my mom can cover one of the days at least.

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM
How old are the teen(s) and is it just the five yr old? Are they kind as siblings?
momwriter
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

They're usually kind but occassionally get impatient when he's bugging them. They're 14 and 17. 

Quoting Momofmenagerie: How old are the teen(s) and is it just the five yr old? Are they kind as siblings?

Renilia
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I've never and wouldnt allow my 14 yr old SD to watch my 6 yr old DD. She is not mature enough and not even responible enough to take care of herself let alone a younger child. But that is my kids not yours.

If you feel the oldest is mature enough to take it seriously and not slack off or be bossy and mean to the younger children then I would allow them. As for the pay I would really only pay like $10-15 for the whole day and only then depending on how good of a job they do (take care of snacks, lunches and ensure that they are safe and clean).

hancex6
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I would say $2/hour is fare, but that is coming from a mom who doesn't pay anything, lol.  I have a 15 year old, two 13 year olds, and then my little 4 year old.  They rarely watch her, but when a situation arises when I need someone, they actually volunteer.  They are really close, and she has them wrapped around her little finger, heehee.  So if they do I usually just get them a treat,  like a Monster Energy drink, that I would normally never buy them, or a pop, etc.   Oh and it is usually never more than 3 hours, that they watch her, or excuse me that she watches them(as she would put it).

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I wouldn't pay him like that - and if I did, $10 a day sounds perfectly fair considering your job situation. I would ask him what he would like in return; extra computer time, use of the car, a day out with you, etc. If it's too extreme then go back to $10 a day.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Mine never babysat when I worked.  In 6th grade my dd became our occasional babysitter if we had or wanted to go out.  She got $2 an hour.  She was happy.   IF my 14 yo was watching a younger sibling 3 days during spring break I would probably pay $3 an hour.  If it was someone else I would probably pay $10 an hour for an occasional babysitter these days. 

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I wouldnt pay them I would treat them to something later on. IF they were willing to sit.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

This is what I do.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I wouldnt pay them I would treat them to something later on. IF they were willing to sit.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM
I always pay a flat rate per week like 50-70 week depending on how long I'll be gone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:07 AM

would not pay but promise a reward 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)