Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Boy Turning Into a Man (16)

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am a single mom of four girls (widowed in 2006). My friend's son is turning 16 this Thursday, and we are all going out to dinner to help him celebrate. I would like to get him a gift, but having four girls, I have no idea what to get him. I haven't bought for a male since my husband. I'm not even sure what the boy is interested in. I see a lot of Facebook posts of him hiking with his mom, so I know he likes to hike, but other than that, I have no clue. His own mother is just giving him cash and that was the suggestion she gave me when I asked her what he wanted. But I feel that's too impersonal for a milestone birthday. Then again, it may be our only alternative. Teens like cash, right?  Thoughts?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM
My oldest son is turning 16 this summer. I'm not sure what I am getting for him.
Bump
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Cash is always good.     Gift cards are great, as well.   If you are thinking of a store gift card, Cabela's or Outdoor World would fit in with the hiking.    Does he drive?  How about a gas gift card?    Movie passes are a big hit, too.

Gmgej
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Cash or a gift card, my three boys prefer cash.

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

$ gift cards to dicks sporting good 

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I agree with the gift card ideas....to a sporting goods store.  I don't like the idea of just cash.  At least when they take the gift card to the store, they think a little bit about the person/people who gave it to him to begin with...maybe even appreciate it a little more since you took the time to find someplace he might like..

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I agree w/ gift cards.

Dick's Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro Shop are all good for outdoor gear.

If he plays video games at all, Gamestop or Best Buy are good ones.

G.c's to the local movie theater are good, too.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM
I think a gift card to an outdoor store would be great.
JeanNJ2114
by New Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Greetings - My suggestion would be either to ask his mom what are his interests or get him a gift card.  Hope this helps.

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I always just give them a gift card so they can decide what they want.

mozdmom
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Gift cards are always a great way to go. If you wanted to make is seem a bit more special you could put it in a themed "basket". I have bought cardboard popcorn containers at the supermarket and put in a movie gift card, enough to cover 2 tickets and $20 at the snack bar, along with some candy, microwave popcorn and a dvd. You can get old school DVDs at the Dollar Store, I bought one that had 6 Clint Eastwood action movies on it for my 20 yr old nephew when I did this for him. For hiking intrests you could maybe include a guidebook of great trails nearby, sunscreen or bug repellent things that are not expensive that have to do with hiking along with the gift card.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)