Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

my daughter is 12 she has ASD/adhd

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM
  • 5 Replies
How to you get a girl that is high function .the said she has asburgers to take shower use deodorant every morning brush her teeth comb her hair
and she is 12 13 in November. I have to go in the bathroom twice a week to make sure her hair is clean i have to make sure she doesn't grab clothing out of dirty bin just because there is a certain top or pants that are literally dirt mud or what ever on better yet mix clean with dirty in her room?
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:30 AM

My 14 year old is pretty much the same way. I have to stay on him. I've tried letting social pressure move him, but it doesn't work because he doesn't care. (Normally I'd be DELIGHTED that he has no truck with the Court of Public Opnion, but in this case....)

Things I have done: He's got wipes in his bathroom and if I can't get him in the shower he will at least use those. He chooses his own deodorant and being able to make that choice has made a difference. Washing hair rmains a trial, but he does have bottles of dry shampoo and hair refresher. For his face, Stridex pads. I can never get him to rinse his face with water and so the pads help. his hair is short and curly and needs NOTHING to look right, so I don't need to worry much about that. 

Mi_Chelly
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Work it into their routine? My 10yo is ASD and I have a visual routine and alarms on his ipad with everything he needs to do and when he needs to do them. Being consistent and making sure they follow their routines have really helped. I know my son gets agitated and feels lost if he misses even a single step of his routine, so he checks everything off as he does them so he "sees" that it is done.

Now getting the non ASD kiddos to do that is the hard part as they are not effected by not following a routine.
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:46 AM

Work it into her routine. Most likely if she has Aspergers (like mine) she will love her routine. Most likely she will also NOT care if you have to go in there and monitor her/make her follow the hygiene rules, so you need to give her incentive to do so, take away something everytime you have to march her back in to redo something. Be consistent. Break it down for her "Go brush your hair", (comes back) "Now go brush your teeth". Give her simple 1/2 step instructions until she shows you she can handle more. Find a comprimise; does she want to shower at night or in the morning? Brush her teeth before/after getting dressed? Does the soap annoy her? Can she use wipes? Ask her as much as you can to make the routine easier on her.

mloomex
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM
That's the thing she love water playing it. I can't just give her baths any more because she get UTI'S ( URINARY TRACK INFECTION) and it not from the tub not clean or not cleaning it rite and we took away bubble bath
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Tell her that if she starts wiping and washing properly down there she can have baths again. Most of the time with UTI's they happen when the person isn't cleaning or wiping the correct way.

Quoting mloomex: That's the thing she love water playing it. I can't just give her baths any more because she get UTI'S ( URINARY TRACK INFECTION) and it not from the tub not clean or not cleaning it rite and we took away bubble bath
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN