Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

summer for teen

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
Is anyone help me what I need to do to make this summer joyful and good learning experience for my 13 yrs old son and 14 yrs old daughter. Camp are very expansive and most of volunteers job starts at 16. I am working mom don't want to leave them home alone.
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Pool passes, some classes, reading club at the library, volunteer at a food pantry,etc... My dd volunteered at the forest preserve horse farm all four years of high school.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Are there any camps nearby that they could be junior counselors at? Camp might not be as expensive that way.

Are there any sahms in your neighborhood? Maybe your kids could do a Mother's Helper kind of thing where the mom is still home, but your teen helps watch the younger child(ren) so Mom can get other things done around the house, or, if everyone is comfortable w/ it, run a quick errand.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Check your local library and YMCA, they often have some great summer programs. And the Y has low-income scholarships and they will let you work off a membership.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I work for a community center and we have a Junior Camp Counselor in Training program for kids that are high school age .  I think this is what my 14 YO daughter is going to do this summer (she will be a sophomore next year).  My 17 YO is working.  It may be tough to find something for your son if he is not starting high school in the fall...there is definitely a void when it comes to things for middle schoolers to do in the summer.  Other than camps that you pay for, we don't have much around my area.  If you have a YMCA in your area, memberships are not that expensive and I think he is old enough to use the gym, pool, and take classes.  They probably have summer memberships so that could be somewhere for him (and his sister, if she doesn't find a counselor position) to hang out during the summer.

omeed
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Is any one know any device like tablet or labtop with no gadgets can be downloaded for my teens. They need internet but I don't want them to use snap chat , twitter, kik or other gagets

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: Pool passes, some classes, reading club at the library, volunteer at a food pantry,etc... My dd volunteered at the forest preserve horse farm all four years of high school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN