Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you let your teen do this?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • 30 Replies

Does your school let your teens listen to music when they are in study hall and doing work in the classroom?  My teen dd is wanting to listen to music when she is doing homework on our computer at home saying that they get to do it at school.  It seems to take her hours at a time to do her work and recently she got a C- on a project she had done on the computer so we are thinking the music may be hindering her from doing her best work.  Do you think music while doing homework makes them focus better or are we being duped??  We are ok with music before, during a break or after, but don't know if it's good DURING.  What do you think and does your school allow this?

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beachdeprived
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Well, my DD is in middle school and they haven't let them listen to music yet during class time that I aware of but I had a high school English Lit. teacher...best guy ever... and he would play music...his music/not ours... while we took tests and stuff. I mean he would play loud rock and roll music from the 60's and 70's....  and he fully believed that we would focus on the test better and that it was a great learning tool for focusing.  Personally I have a hard time if I have head phones on but I do like soft music in the background when I am trying to focus. Everyone learns differently though.

mommyofthezoo03
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be extremely helpful to some kids and a real hinderance for others. I actually made my nephew listen to his music on headphones while doing homework when he was with me. He has pretty bad ADD. Believe it or not he got it done faster and more accurately. It blocks out other distractions helping them focus.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

It depends on the kids.  My kids never had a study hall, but I don't think it would bother them much. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Some study hall teachers do, some don't. Most do not study anyway. I never did. I know my dd used to play cards, lol. Mine have to have noise to study at home. They hate silence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Not in class, but any other time, yes.
JessicaR7
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM

It's seems like your main concern is the length of time she spends on school work and the results being a C-.  If you have a hard rule of A's and B's in your home; then I would let her know that until she brings up her grades she must do her homework at the dining room table or in the kitchen.  This allows you to monitor if she is using her time effectively and you are there to assist if necessary. There is still some noise going on in the background but she is more likely to focus if she knows you are in close proximity.

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found with my own children allowing them to listen tto music helped them complete assignments without issue. The music drowns out distractions. They have all been a & b students.

it is your decision but maybe it wouldn't hurt to try. If her work begins to suffer then stop it if not then don't worry about it.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM
I think it depends on the individual. My son listens to music while he does homework and this past grading period He got a 4.75.... So obviously it doesn't hinder him.

His father will sometimes listen to music while reading books. He also sometimes listens to music and does multiple thingsā€¦ He's an extremely successful professional this is the way he functions best.

For me, even classical music would bother me during study time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renilia
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:09 PM

My SD is allowed to listen to music only during free study time during her Organizational Studies class. But we don't let her listen to music while she is doing homework at home, since it is an distraction and she needs to focus more on her work NOT the music and singing along like she does end up doing.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Mine was allowed to in most of her classes as long as the teacher couldn't hear it. She did most of her work with her headphones in and did pretty well. She had more trouble being distracted by TEENS that were running around the room; talking to each other (when they weren't supposed to be), not doing their work, and eating all throughout class then her music selection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)