Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What Do You Think Motivates Teens to do Wild and Dangerous Things?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 24 Replies

Teen Runaway Lucky to Be Alive After Hiding in Wheel Well on Flight to Hawaii

by Lisa Fogarty

A 16-year-old boy took the idea of "running away" to the absolute extreme when he jumped a fence at a San Jose, California airport and stowed away on a five-hour flight to Hawaii. Authorities say the teen is lucky to be alive because he actually hid in the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airlines aircraft -- where he passed out, possibly because of the lack of oxygen and sub-zero temperatures.

The chances of flying at 38,000 feet -- that's higher than Mount Everest -- for so many hours in such brutal conditions are so rare that one expert even questioned whether there was "more to the story" and if a "miracle" had taken place. The child was approached on the tarmac because he reportedly looked "dazed and confused." He told airport workers in Maui that he had crawled into the wheel well of the plane in California, passed out almost immediately, and crawled his way out of the cramped compartment when the plane landed in Hawaii.

Despite airport video footage that confirms the boy's tale, his story raised more than a few eyebrows. He isn't the first to try and hitch a ride in the wheel well of a plane, but he's certainly one of very few to survive the trip. The FBI is investigating to determine whether his story is true. The teen didn't explain why he ran away from home and was found carrying no ID and little else except for a comb in his pocket.

He wasn't charged with a crime, but he was placed with child protective services in Hawaii. 

I've heard of teens running away to make a point to their families, but I've never heard of anything like this. He really is fortunate, and I hope he's counting his lucky stars right now, has learned his lesson, and won't take such an outrageous chance again.

What do you think motivated this teen to do something as wild and dangerous as stowing away in the wheel well of an airplane?

Has your teen every did anything dangerous?

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Because the prefrontal cortex is usually not fully developed until your mid-20s, and that is the part of the brain that controls rational thought.

My kids have each done their share of stupid crap. Nothing really noteworthy though.
Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Ageed 

Quoting cybcm: Because the prefrontal cortex is usually not fully developed until your mid-20s, and that is the part of the brain that controls rational thought. My kids have each done their share of stupid crap. Nothing really noteworthy though.

tripleastepmom
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:27 PM

My middle stepdaughter had my first stepgranddaughter at 16 so that definitely counts in the stupid department though I love Norah to death, August definitely wasn't (and still isn't) ready to be a mother yet she will be the mother of 3 this October.  Her boyfriend, the father of all 3 children, left her when she announced her pregnancy for the twins.  She's only 19 (20 next month).  I'm not saying that all teen parents are horrible parents-some end up being great parents, but it's a maturity thing and August is definitely very immature.  I think a lot of bad decisions that teens make have to do with their brains not being fully developed, but also society and peer pressure.

JessicaR7
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:37 PM

This...

Also, running away was a way to solve a problem at home for him.  Kids with poor coping and problem-solving skills will use flawed thinking for many reasons.  Some of them have emotional and behavioral problems which include risk-taking behaviors.  I think it's obvious this kid felt running away was his only option and that shows the level of desperation he felt because most of us probably thought about running away at one point as teens but I would guess few actually tried.  

Quoting cybcm: Because the prefrontal cortex is usually not fully developed until your mid-20s, and that is the part of the brain that controls rational thought. My kids have each done their share of stupid crap. Nothing really noteworthy though.

8chickens
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Many young adults have type A personalities and risk is an adrenaline rush for them. In this young mans case it could be desperation as a way to escape something he feels is worse than death. There are evn older adults who push the limits. Some humans love to push limits. My own son is a type A, US Airman and is willing to try anything that pushes the limits of the body or fate.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:19 PM
They are idiots. Glad mine never did such stupid things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This!  They literally cannot yet function with adult reasoning.

God must be busy with teens, protecting them.  I know He protected me. 

teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

It is not so much motivation as a lack of brain development.  It is a scientific fact that the prefrontal cortex of the brain which is where reasoning and logical choices are made, does not fully develop in either boys or girls until 25.  When you add a huge dose of testosterone in there, you get a rutting baby elk going crazy looking for a way to settle the mind down with massive doses of adrenaline.  The adrenaline rush helps to burn off the excess hormones and so this is why kids are actually somewhat crazy until 25.  This is the same reason why auto rates drop so significantly at 25.  Girls have the benefit of not having the testosterone rush but their own estrogen rush is no picnic either

JessicaR7
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Well, your children were probably never homesick and trying to get to you while you were living on another continent.  It's easy to paint a child as an idiot without the entire story.  According to reports, he had only been living in the area for a couple of months.  He was homesick and got in an argument with his caretakes or relatives before deciding to run away and catch a flight to Africa to be with his mom.  Not every child is raised in a perfect environment so they don't always make perfect choices.

Quoting atlmom2: They are idiots. Glad mine never did such stupid things.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM
This kid was plenty old enough to know it was dangerous and illegal. He was very stupid and made a horrible choice. Does not excuse what he did. Sick of people using excuses.
Oh his life sucked so he killed someone. Sorry, don't believe in excuses.

Quoting JessicaR7:

Well, your children were probably never homesick and trying to get to you while you were living on another continent.  It's easy to paint a child as an idiot without the entire story.  According to reports, he had only been living in the area for a couple of months.  He was homesick and got in an argument with his caretakes or relatives before deciding to run away and catch a flight to Africa to be with his mom.  Not every child is raised in a perfect environment so they don't always make perfect choices.

Quoting atlmom2: They are idiots. Glad mine never did such stupid things.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)