Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My daughter says she is bisexual

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hey,

My name is Rikke and I have a 13 year old daughter. She has always been boy crazy and loves boy bands. Until recently she would come home and share how a boy talked to her etc. 2 weeks ago, she announced that she is bisexual. I have no moral issue with this but I fundamentally do not believe that she is. I am having such a hard time with this. She has a girlfriend now and I feel her attitude has changed all of a sudden. She is rude to me and disrespectful. I am not sure what to think about this. It seems so out of character for her. I am trying to be cool about it but I am finding that I really struggle. Advice is appreciated.

Rikke

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Gay, straight, or bisexual 13 seems a bit too young fir these issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM
3 moms liked this
I disagree. My daughter was 13 when she 'came out', she is 19 now and still says that ever since she could comprehend the topic of "girls like boys" she knew she didn't.

Quoting sahlady: Gay, straight, or bisexual 13 seems a bit too young fir these issues.
vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

13 is a confusing age to begin with.  Just continue to love and support her.  However, being disrespectful is not acceptable.  Tell her that.  A person's sexual preference has nothing to do with whether they treat some one with respect or not.  A person's character dictates how they treat others.

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

let her fiqure it out to young to have a girl or boy friend anyway 

3sun1Angelgrl
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
The only thing I see wrong with it that she treats u wrong I would tell her that's not how you treat me...
ragdoll7777
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

She's still trying to figure yourself, tell her that you support whatever she's going through but the rudeness and disrespect needs to stop, you are respecting her and she needs to respect you as well.

ajelove
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Thirteen sounds like the right age for sudden attitude changes lol Just watch out for any dangerous behavior, and let her figure out the sexuality part.

Lordgodempress
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this

13 is too young for a boyfriend or girlfriend.    MY DD came out at 14 and I said ok, thats fine you still cant date until your 16.  She got really mad at me.. She's 17 now and says shes not BI or Lesbian, she was just confused and trying to figure herself out.  I think 13 is the age when most people who are homosexual discover it, with bisexuality however, I always wonder if its just a curiousity thing since 75 % of girls I went to school with claimed to be bisexual and it only lasted through highschool.   I mean she could VERY well be bisexual, but if I were you, I would just support and not let her date anyone, she's too young  By the time she's 16 she will have a better handle on it.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

My dd announced she was bisexual at the same age, then a few months later decided she was straight. I think she was just exploring her sexuality. It's great that people are becoming more accepting about homosexuality, but I think it is creating some confusion in our teens. I say this because I think this may be what is causing the change in behavior in your dd. Either the confusion is causing the acting out, or she may be being bullied about it at school. I would sit down with her and have a heart to heart about it.

Carmen66
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Set her straight on her disrespect and accept who she is, dont try and change her if she feels that way let her be. At this age she is rebelling and confused, talk to her and tell her you are there for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)