Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Does your teen have consequences for getting a D or F on a school assignment?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 26 Replies

Our nephew (14yrs old) is a fairly good student but we have issues with him sometimes about turning in assignments. He also gets Ds and Fs every so often. I feel that he should have a privledge taken away when his grades suffer, the thing is... I feel terrible for enforcing it! I just checked his grades online and he got a D and a F over the last 2 days *sigh*

I ask him constantly if he's needs any help with assignments or if he's having any trouble at school and he always says he's fine. What really gets me mad is that he will not tell us when he gets these grades, instead he just stays quiet until we find out ourselves.

Do you ladies make a big deal when your teens bring home bad grades on assignments?

by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boom_maker
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Just wanted to add the disclosure that he's been with us for the last 5mo and previous to him being here, we have no teen experience (other than what we were like when we were kids). Our boys are 7 and 3.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Often, yes they would.  Zero's severe consequences. 

Start checking homework every night.  My dh checked math homework always.  He didn't do it he told them what was wrong and they had to go redo the problem again, and again if necessary.  You don't learn anything if you don't know what you did wrong. 

mrssslidz
by New Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Yes. I really only have problems with my son when it comes to grades. If he gets Ds we have a talk and he has to do extra credit to bring it up. If he gets an F he gets his ds taken away and doesn't get to have any sleepovers.
Momofmenagerie
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Over singular assignments? No.
He doesn't tell me because, he rarely knows. His school isn't big on returning homework so if I don't check online... We don't know.

A class with an F..... I probably already knew it was coming .... Prolonged illness or something.

However one assignment? No, perhaps a chat but not a punishment , I don't see that as a motivator
boom_maker
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Thanks ladies.
These assignments that he has Ds and Fs on are not homework (he's been good about finishing/turning it in except for one incident) they are assignments he has in class. If this was a one time thing I wouldn't make a big deal but he has 3 bad grades back to back.
I'm planning on calling his teacher tomorrow so she can let me know what's going on with his work (if it's completed, if he's rushing through it or if he's really having trouble).
cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:34 AM
No. I really have no way to find out unless they fail the actual class.
StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:30 AM
No, I dont care what the grade is, I care if he has worked if he did his best, if he tried and if he asked for help because he was stuck. If he didn't do that and that resulted in a not good grade/level then there are consequence for not trying not the physical grade.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Not on individual assignments, no, but for the overall grade in a class being an F, yes.

Well, I guess ds1 would say we sort of punish him for an F on individual assignments. If the F is b/c he did not do it, we make him do it and turn it in late, even if he will not get credit for it.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I don't punish for individual assignments unless it was not done and lied about. I do ask them what is going on, why they got that grade and how they are going to do things differently next time. 

I have one who is an exceptional student, but often lazy and falls behind from not doing his assignments. I have grounded him until the assignments were caught up again. My other has some learning challenges so for her, I have to be more of a detective and find out what exactly is going on. There are some classes that she is simply going to fail at and there is nothing anyone can do. I am fighting to keep them from putting her in those classes in the first place. With her, I simply expect her to try her hardest and if that yeilds a d or f, then so be it.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Not on individual assignments, unless I see several in succession.  At that point, I would address my dd as to what is going on.  If she needs help, she must get help that is offered either from the teacher, tutoring, or us.  If the current overall grade for the class at the end of the week is a 'D' or an 'F', there are consequences.  Because she drives and/or values being able to hang out on the weekends, THOSE privileges are removed until the average class grade is brought up to a minimum of a 'C'.  It has happened only a few times throughout the year, however, because there's nothing worse for her than sitting around at home being bored!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)