Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Thoughts or Ideas? He isn't listening and grades are slipping.Update in Replies

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hey all~

Honestly I don't know what to think anymore...

My youngest son is turning 13yrs soon. He acts more like a 15-16 yr old. in respect to his laziness and attitude. My oldest son went through this too, but it was when he was that age!  My youngest has come straight out and told me it doesn't bother him or even affect him when he is grounded...he just doesn't get to see his friends except at school. No big deal to him! It doesn't matter how many chores we give him, how much we discipline him, explain things to him or anything. WE have taken away his computer, he doesn't have a TV or cell phone...next on the list would be his bed. frown mini

His grades aren't too bad, but they are not where we expect to see them either...He's getting a good mixutre of A's & B's but he has slipped in a few classes and receiving a few C's (2). He's "forgotten" to turn in homework and seems to just ignore what we have to say to him about school/grades. It's like he just doesn't care. 

I guess frustration has set in with me. He is a bigger kid, stands 5'6" and weighs 210lbs. He has always been a bigger person and always been so loveable, tender hearted etc. Just don't know anymore....

Thoughts or ideas?

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Start checking homework nightly. Do you have access online??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana776
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My 16 yo was like this. I was getting so frustrated because he normally got almost straight A's, but he was failling classes because he just wouldn't do the work.

I teach my kids that they can manage their lives or Mommy will step in and do it. I try to  make  it as painful and irritating as possible so that they don't like me there. I would start with what my kids call being a "creeper", sit right there next to him while he is doing his homework. If handing in the homework is a problem, then I have threatened and followed through on going to school with him and making sure it gets handed in. (Oh and btw, my son stands well over 6 feet tall!) I have sat right beside him all day in every class, to make sure he wasn't goofing around on his laptop instead of doing his work. He did not like that at all. He has been back to the almost straight A's for the last year and a half.

It's all about negotiation, they don't want me micromanaging their lives, I want them to get their school work done and handed in on time. They need ot figure out a way for me to get what I want so they can get what they want.

nana776
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I meant to add that I only did all that after trying the groundings, taking away all electronics, etc and nothing was working.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I could have written this post, ds has lost so many privalges, nothing is working!

JeanNJ2114
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Greetings - I have also witnessed this behavior.  I am just waiting to hear all the replies.  

Wenders1
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well we ended up having what I like to call a "Stellar Weekend" around here..........I had to be gone all day on Saturday for a conference & trainings. My lovely son decided he wanted some of his privledges back. So when I got home I found that all the floors had been swept & mopped (not on his normal chore list), he cleaned the bathrooms, took out the garbage and cleaned his room. 

*I thought this was a great improvement* BUT then the child I know came back to earth on Sunday when I asked him about any homework. He told me it was done. I asked to see it. He took 45min. to bring it to me...no that's not telling now is it!

So I spent yesterday working with him on the finer points about lieing, the difference between a little white lie and super big one. BTW to me they are one in the same. A lie is a lie, no matter what the case.

He is jeopardy of losing out on a big fishing weekend coming up in 5 short days. My husband says he can't go unless he brings grades up (in a week?!) I say he can go only because I want the peace and quiet of a weekend with no kids at home. Wonder who will win this discussion?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)