Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College decision?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM
  • 22 Replies

How involved are you in your teens choice of which college to attend?  Do you offer your opinion, and hope that they listen or do you give them no option?  Our youngest daughter is facing the dilemma of choosing between two great colleges, and we are also faced with how much advice to offer her before she makes her final decision.  Her dad and I moved last year, and she remained in our former home town living with relatives so she could work on a film, and also finish her Senior year with her classmates.  One college she is considering is four hours from our new home, the other is across the country in California.  Tough decision..

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StreetsAhead
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not at this point yet but my dad certainly gave his advice and did give an opinion (but not in a way of only giving his view) 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

If you are allowing her to go to either let her make the decision. 

My dd visited 5 schools and applied to 4 and got into all 4. 

U of Dayton was her first choice so as long as she got in there that was where she was going.  She knew after the school visits where she wanted to go.  It is 8 hours away.  They were all 6-8 hours away.  She applied to zero schools in our state. 

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Let her choose.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not quite there yet but I plan to let him make the decision. I'll give him as much help and advice as he asks for but ultimately it's his future and even though I'd love for him to stay nearby, if he decides a college on the other side of the country is the best place for him I'll support it.

teensrmyworld
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Ultimately it your daughter's decision.  Remember that you are not forced to stay with one school just because that is the original place you started.  I attended WSU for 1 semester before realizing that it was not the right fit, I then transferred to WWU where I was really happy.  My son knew where he wanted to go, but my Oma son was really torn.  We helped his weigh out his strengths and what he saw as important to his growth and he then made a decision.  Both of my boys are going to great schools that are the right fit for them and we know this because they ultimately made the choice to go there.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, many transfer after a semester or a year to somewhere new.  My Sister in law did.  One of dd's friends did too and a friend of my other dd did also. 

Quoting teensrmyworld:

Ultimately it your daughter's decision.  Remember that you are not forced to stay with one school just because that is the original place you started.  I attended WSU for 1 semester before realizing that it was not the right fit, I then transferred to WWU where I was really happy.  My son knew where he wanted to go, but my Oma son was really torn.  We helped his weigh out his strengths and what he saw as important to his growth and he then made a decision.  Both of my boys are going to great schools that are the right fit for them and we know this because they ultimately made the choice to go there.

tcfla
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

When my daughter was four I took her to University of Florida (where I went and my day went) bought her, her first Gator shirt and told her this is where you will go to college.  lol  Never dreamed it would turn out to be the Harvard of the South and hard as hell to get in! She worked her ass off and got in and on full academic scholarship.  YAY! She is now starting dental school! I would have been crushed if she couldn't have gone there. But we did have other schools that we helped her put in order of preference.  My son, I didn't give him a choice. He needed to move out of my house before I killed him. But he still needed someone to keep their thumb on him, so I sent him to Florida too and have my daughter keeping him on track (he is a party boy) lol 

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

It is so hard to get into many schools that used to be easy.  My dd is at U of Dayton.  When she got in 2 years ago they were accepting about 60% of applicants.  Now it is 50%.  Awesome your dd is in dental school. 

Quoting tcfla:

When my daughter was four I took her to University of Florida (where I went and my day went) bought her, her first Gator shirt and told her this is where you will go to college.  lol  Never dreamed it would turn out to be the Harvard of the South and hard as hell to get in! She worked her ass off and got in and on full academic scholarship.  YAY! She is now starting dental school! I would have been crushed if she couldn't have gone there. But we did have other schools that we helped her put in order of preference.  My son, I didn't give him a choice. He needed to move out of my house before I killed him. But he still needed someone to keep their thumb on him, so I sent him to Florida too and have my daughter keeping him on track (he is a party boy) lol 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're paying I think you have input on where she goes if there is a monetary difference. But I think giving the child the choice helps them claim their education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I think it is better to not look at schools they can't afford or you know they won't get much aid or scholarships. 

Quoting sahlady: If you're paying I think you have input on where she goes if there is a monetary difference. But I think giving the child the choice helps them claim their education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)