Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Mother Calls Police on Own Teen Son for Unspeakable Crime

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM
  • 21 Replies

Mother Calls Police on Own Teen Son for Unspeakable Crime

by Kiri Blakeley 

One mom was forced to make a terrible decision -- should she turn her own 14-year-old son into police for a horrible crime but one that could ruin his entire life? Many moms would have gone into denial. Or dismissed what they'd seen. But not this mother. While putting her 2-year-old down for a nap, she left her 14-year-old son to clean up the living room with his 8-year-old cousin. That's when something unimaginable happened.

Thinking it was too quiet downstairs, the mom went to check things out and saw what no mom ever wants to see: Her son, Soloman Pule, had allegedly mounted his young cousin on the love seat, pulled her skirt up, and threatened her with scissors if she didn't comply. She reportedly told police: "He shoved his thing in me."

Pule reportedly admitted to the crime during interrogation. He will be charged as an adult. I'm not sure how I feel about that. While what he did was egregious, I'm not convinced that a 14-year-old has a total grasp of what he or she does. The brain isn't even fully formed. And if he had any learning disabilities, he would be even more behind the curve. And I hope that psychologists will look into if he got this idea because he may have been abused.

The problem is that not being charged as an adult can too often lead to a slap on the wrist. What this boy needs is hardcore rehabilitation -- before it's too late and he turns into a sociopath. If he's not one already.

As for the mom, she could have done what a lot of moms would have done: convinced herself this was kids playing sex games. Experimenting. Doing what a lot of kids do (though we like to deny it). She could have put it out of her mind.

But she didn't want to do that to her niece. Imagine what her niece would have grown up thinking and feeling if her aunt had seen this and yet dismissed it.

The mom did the right thing. But now her son may have committed a crime that may follow him forever. He may be registered as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Getting into college and getting a job will be difficult with a prison record that isn't expunged because he's being charged as an adult.

But the mom did what she had to do. It was a very brave choice. It was the only choice.

What do you think you would have done?

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have called the police too, no matter how heart breaking it would be. 

I don't agree with the article when it says a 14 year old doesn't fully grasp what they do.  In this situation a 14 year old certainly does know what they're doing is flat out wrong!  It is not nearly normal behavior and should not be dismissed.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM
6 moms liked this

On what planet is a 14yr old not aware that threatening an 8yr old with scissors and raping her is wrong?
This knowledge is well within the scope of understanding for a 14yr old.

SugarrCane
The suspension on my car is broken...again :/
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

He's at an age of accountability.  She shouldn't have left them alone together.  This is why children of different ages are seperated on the playgrounds and school buses. Too often, this kind of experimenting takes place.  I wish she could have caught it before it went too far.  I feel worse for her 8 year old neice than I do for her son.

Beachdeprived
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Well, the author of the article is more in to her writing career than being a mother herself so I don't give her much credence when it comes to knowing what goes on with a 14 year old boy and yes, he does have total grasp of what he did. While I can only imagine how difficult this would be for a mother to do, calling the PD was the right thing. Morally but also lawfully. A rape occured... it is her duty as an adult to protect children in her care...being her niece... so not reporting it would have been unlawful so in that respect, she did the right thing. I can only hope I would have her courage and strength to follow through with that as well. I'm sure the kids have grown up together and she probably didn't think twice about leaving them alone, being relatives and all. Just a very sad situation for the entire family... Not doubt it will cause a family divide that will be almost impossible to repair. My hearts go out to all of them.

Linagma03
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have called the police in a heart beat. Yes it would've been hard but it would've been what was needed to be done because he is dangerous and I wouldn't want to be responsible for him harming my other children in the house. Yes he should get some help if he is able to be treated. There are many that can't be treated. Since he used a weapon to gain her compliance that means that he understood exactly what he was doing. Just because he is 14 doesn't mean he doesn't know exactly what he was doing. There are 14 yr olds having sex daily and they are fully aware of what they are doing. What took place was rape with a deadly weapon, and he should be charged as an adult given the incident.

jamelame
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

The kid is lucky I'm not his mother. If I walked in on any boy doing that to my daughter, even my own son, my first instinct would be to grab him by the balls and squeeze until he could never rape anyone again. 

momof4loves4
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
This is just ridiculous!! She did the ONLY option in my opinion. That boy is effed in the head and needs way more than help. That being said, I feel soo aweful for the 8 year old little girl he RAPED. Can you imagine the amount of therapy and help she will need? Can you imagine what this has done to her in more ways than one?! SMFH. That boy deserves to be locked up and pay for what he did and forever be labeled a rapist. 14 or not. He fully knew what he was doing. To hell with him, let's think of his cousin. Add incest to rape... Ugh I am disgusted. The rapist is always who is talked about instead of the victim. Their had to be signs before this.... Maybe mom should have picked up on the warning signs. She better pray he hasn't done anything to her 2 year old. This whole story makes me want to vomit!!
WatermelonP
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Same here. I would sqeeze his marbles until they popped.

Quoting jamelame:

The kid is lucky I'm not his mother. If I walked in on any boy doing that to my daughter, even my own son, my first instinct would be to grab him by the balls and squeeze until he could never rape anyone again. 

ejwhite_99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

What he did was awful and yes at 14 years of age, he knew well what he was doing and should be punished. However, I don't believe he should be punished as an adult.  There is obviously something wrong with this boy if he could not only rape his own cousin and threaten her with a pair of scissors but do it right while his mother is just upstairs.  He had to know that she could come down the stairs at any time.  He didn't even attempt to hide what he was doing.  I could see if the mother had left the house but she was right there.  That's not normal behavior for anyone and screams for help.  Sure there are plenty of 14yo having sex but how many of them go about it like that.  This boy needs help and locking him up with a bunch of hardened criminals is not the way to get it for him.  It will only make him worse and when he's set free as an older man he'll still have the same issues and more and that won't be good for anybody.

leeshuh
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think she should have thought twice about leaving them alone together unless she had witnessed behavior like this from him before, which it sounds like she hadn't. Kids do experiment, yes, but a normal 14  year old boy would not  be attracted to a little girl. There is no way she should have seen this coming. It's unfair to place that kind of blame on the mom. 

Quoting SugarrCane:

He's at an age of accountability.  She shouldn't have left them alone together.  This is why children of different ages are seperated on the playgrounds and school buses. Too often, this kind of experimenting takes place.  I wish she could have caught it before it went too far.  I feel worse for her 8 year old neice than I do for her son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)