Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 12 year old daughter is cutting herself

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

I am Wanda Martin in Irving, TX. I was never able to have children of my own so we became foster parents and ended up adopting a beautiful African American baby who is now 12.

I am looking for ways that I may be able to help her with cutting her self. I have never seen this done nor have my husband dealt with this before.

What steps do I we need to take and what are the best therapies for her???

Please help we are desperate for help.

Sincerely,

Larry & Wanda Martin

by on May. 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-16):
mmccullough4
by on May. 26, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I think from what my closest friend has told me, in most instances they do not want to harm themselves they want to release emotions ie anxiety, fears, emotional pain...the physical pain is the release, though I agree it is scary...my first step would be to try to talk to her, show your concern and maybe try to have her see a counsellor who specializes in teens...wish you all the best
Khanfan
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM

BUMP!

Khanfan
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Quoting Khanfan:

BUMP!

I agree that it is an addictive behavior. It's dangerous and even might be "cool" like smoking used to be. That is all in the child's mind though.  My dh and I have a 13 yr old dd who began cutting after visiting her cousin. My creative dd began by carving words in her arm. 

A year later she has seen a good Dr. who talked to her and prescribed anti depressants. DD is really coming out of her shell. She had a set back since starting the medicine when a boy said he liked her and then "took it back." The same day he got kicked out of school. I can understand that being stressful. I was a smoker myself.

butzi
by Member on May. 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM
In your search for therapists look for someone who is trained in DBT, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. This therapeutic treatment option actually has shown some promise in teaching young cutters new coping skills.
pooh2you1985
by on May. 29, 2014 at 12:26 AM

first off call the doc about this it is VERY serious

nmrob79
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I would say find her a therapist who can help her with the issues that are causing her to cut herself. It's a cry for help. Do it as ASAP.! My son has been dealing with a girl who is cutting herself. It has changed him. He is now angry, withdrawn, always worried about her. We are starting therapy with him tomorrow. He whole well being has changed just beginning around a cutter. So I say seek help now. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN