Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What would you do?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

A couple of weeks ago, we caught our daughter lying about where she was after school so we told her she would be riding the bus again and if she needed to stay late, we would pick her up. Today, she told us that she would probably be staying late and would miss the bus. I told her to just let me know and I would pick her up. This was communicated the night before and this morning. 

I have an app that tracks where her iphone is. I could tell that she was almost home at 3:30 pm but didn't actually get home until 4:30pm. I'm not sure if she is aware of this app but she did turn her phone off shortly after 3:30 pm so I have no idea where she was until she got home.

Her story is that her friend drove her home and the reason they were so late was that her friend was busy chatting with people at school. So that clearly doesn't explain what they were doing for an hour between school and home.

I am honestly not concerned about drinking or drugs with her but clearly she is lying for some reason. I'm not sure if I should just accept her explanation at this point or call her on it.

by on May. 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not allow her anywhere without you for a while.  Tell her that trust is broken and until she is consistantly where she says and is following rules she will get picked up by you every day.  Mom's instincts are right, 99% of the time.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with atlmom2, she already broke your trust and obviously she still has not learned her lesson, so she would need to earn your trust back and learn responsibility, which means doing what she said she is going to do and following simple instructions.

I would be picking her up anytime she needs to stay after, she would not be getting rides from other students or friends and if she wants her freedom back she will work hard to earn your trust back.

My teens think they are sneaky and sometimes I have to call them on their stuff because they will ride that half truth or plain out lie out to the end unless I show them I know more then I they think I know.

Serendipitous1
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Agree with atlmom2 and natural_s. Question... What's that app and how did you put it in her phone?
mommyofthezoo03
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I would be pulling her boundaries right back in. She would not go anywhere without dh or I for a good while. She would lose going out with friends as a privilege for a long time. Even if you are not concerned about drugs and drinking that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Best to get a handle on it now.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I would be putting some restictions back in, like the others have mentioned.

stine79
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Has she lied to you before for you to question her?
lucky3x
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We have iPhones so I just use the "Find iPhone" app. It's meant for if your phone gets lost or stolen but it is also great to keep track of where your kids are!

Quoting Serendipitous1: Agree with atlmom2 and natural_s. Question... What's that app and how did you put it in her phone?

Serendipitous1
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Thank you so much!

Quoting lucky3x:

We have iPhones so I just use the "Find iPhone" app. It's meant for if your phone gets lost or stolen but it is also great to keep track of where your kids are!

Quoting Serendipitous1: Agree with atlmom2 and natural_s. Question... What's that app and how did you put it in her phone?

Joyzap2003
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:45 AM

I'm going to think positive here and give her the benefit of the doubt.  Mothers Day is this Sunday.  She could have been making a  gift for you or looking for one to buy for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)