Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Seniors, what are there plans....

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM
  • 10 Replies

For thoses with seniors in high school, what are there plans for after graduation? College? Military? Work?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chefmartha
by on May. 8, 2014 at 7:39 AM

She plans on going to college, although she may not start until the January after graduation. Due to some mistakes in her records from two schools back (we've moved a lot for work) she had to take four more years of High School to earn her diploma. So since she had 8 years of high school, we are considering taking an extended summer break and then going back to school.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM
Still 6 or so months left here, but he intends on going to university.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Quoting cybcm: Still 6 or so months left here, but he intends on going to university.

Isn't it a little late to apply for the fall?  The colleges have already completed their acceptances for the fall, and deposits were due on May 1st.  Are you in a different country with a different school calendar?

cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I'm in Australia, our school year is different.
Year 12 finishes in September here, final exams in October/November and next year of uni starts in March.

Quoting Carmel63:

Quoting cybcm: Still 6 or so months left here, but he intends on going to university.

Isn't it a little late to apply for the fall?  The colleges have already completed their acceptances for the fall, and deposits were due on May 1st.

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Today is my son's last final...he graduates on Monday. Then starts College at the Art Institute of Seattle on July 14th.

I can't believe he is so grown up.

Momsalawyer
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine graduates and turns 18 on June 5th.  After that headed to college at UC Santa Cruz where his big brother was a freshman this year.  Only weird thing is I wish senior would take some time off and see if he can't make a living with his music, that is his first love.  He wants to do the practical thing and go to college; role reversals for mom and kid here!

butzi
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Graduates May 31st, then on to Purdue University computer engineering
btamilee
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I actually get it!  Our daughter is involved in film (screenwriting and directing).  She has worked on several small budget films (one which she wrote and directed won several awards), and got the chance last fall to work on an Independent feature film for four weeks.  Most of the people on the set were from LA, and told her not to bother with college.  No one in the LA film world cares if you have a degree, you start at the bottom level regardless.  She was told its much more about the connections, and that most people go to school long enough to make the connections, and then end up moving on with their careers if they have what it takes.  She is headed to LA in the fall to start school at Columbia College Hollywood (film college).  Part of me is happy she is going to College, but there is also a part of me wondering if its worth the money..

Quoting Momsalawyer:

Mine graduates and turns 18 on June 5th.  After that headed to college at UC Santa Cruz where his big brother was a freshman this year.  Only weird thing is I wish senior would take some time off and see if he can't make a living with his music, that is his first love.  He wants to do the practical thing and go to college; role reversals for mom and kid here!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I don't view college as being a vocational school.  I would want my kids to go to college even if they never use their education for work.  My parents paid for my college education believing that I would be a stay at home mom.  I also understand not everyone has that luxury.

Quoting btamilee:

I actually get it!  Our daughter is involved in film (screenwriting and directing).  She has worked on several small budget films (one which she wrote and directed won several awards), and got the chance last fall to work on an Independent feature film for four weeks.  Most of the people on the set were from LA, and told her not to bother with college.  No one in the LA film world cares if you have a degree, you start at the bottom level regardless.  She was told its much more about the connections, and that most people go to school long enough to make the connections, and then end up moving on with their careers if they have what it takes.  She is headed to LA in the fall to start school at Columbia College Hollywood (film college).  Part of me is happy she is going to College, but there is also a part of me wondering if its worth the money..

Quoting Momsalawyer:

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:46 PM

It's official....He has graduated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)