Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice on 15 yr old daughter Update

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I never have worried about this with her until today. Something told me to check her facebook messages.  She knows she is not allowed to message people  that she does not know. I have read a few messages and it sounds off to me. They are odd and don't make a whole lot of sense to me.  We are very strict with her and always check her phone. I stopped the facebook checks because she stopped using it for awhile. This scares me because I have no idea who these people are and their profiles have no location or anything. How should I handle this? We have a close relationship and I don't want her to stop telling me things.

Update...I talked to her last night and she explained to me how she started talking to them. She met them on some app called ifunny. I told her to delete them off her facebook and remove any apps off her phone besides games. I told her why I was worried about what could happen if they were not who they said they were. She is an honor student but she is kind of naive about certain things. She said she understood and knows I will be checking her phone and all more often now. 

by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nebcutie
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Well if she knows you check just ask who they are. I am friends with my daughter on facebook so if i seen someone i didn't know i would just ask her.
Fairywings1223
by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I'm going to ask her when she gets home. With all the crazy people in the world it makes me nervous.

Quoting nebcutie: Well if she knows you check just ask who they are. I am friends with my daughter on facebook so if i seen someone i didn't know i would just ask her.

nebcutie
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM
What was in the messages that makes you concerned? Is she friends with them or just messages?

Quoting Fairywings1223:

I'm going to ask her when she gets home. With all the crazy people in the world it makes me nervous.

Quoting nebcutie: Well if she knows you check just ask who they are. I am friends with my daughter on facebook so if i seen someone i didn't know i would just ask her.

Fairywings1223
by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM

They about forming some type of FOI group. I have no idea what that means. They ask all kinds of weird questions to join this roup.  Also these two boys say they are her age but have nothing on their profile about how old they are or where they are from. Plus they have no mutual friends and the boys are just friend with my daughter and her friend on facebook.

Quoting nebcutie: What was in the messages that makes you concerned? Is she friends with them or just messages?
Quoting Fairywings1223:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You are right to be suspicious for many reasons it sounds like. 

Quoting Fairywings1223:

They about forming some type of FOI group. I have no idea what that means. They ask all kinds of weird questions to join this roup.  Also these two boys say they are her age but have nothing on their profile about how old they are or where they are from. Plus they have no mutual friends and the boys are just friend with my daughter and her friend on facebook.

Quoting nebcutie: What was in the messages that makes you concerned? Is she friends with them or just messages?
Quoting Fairywings1223:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Every watched Catfish???  This screams it.  Anyone without a lot of friends, isn't the real person.

Fairywings1223
by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I know thats one of the reasons I'm freaked out over this. My daughter is an honors student and normally doesn't use her facebook so its out of charcter for her. Shes normally reading or studying.

Quoting atlmom2:

Every watched Catfish???  This screams it.  Anyone without a lot of friends, isn't the real person.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Make a fake facebook and infiltrate this group, lol. I would still talk to your daughter today about your suspicions. 

Beachdeprived
by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Remember the days when the worst thing that could happen was that someone found our diary? Doesn't stuff like this make you miss the old days? So scary with social media! It all sounds very suspicious to me! Altmom2/Susie had a good idea about making a fake FB account and joining the group! I would give that a try!

nebcutie
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM
For me to get the most information out of her I would just talk to her as if you just want to know what its all about and act interested not upset then from there tell her your concerns about how the profiles look after you know everything you can get from her and let her know you want to get on and block them. Also let her friends parents know just in case they may not know what is going on.

Quoting Fairywings1223:

Quoting Fairywings1223:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN