Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Cold Water Challenge

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

the new "fad" around our area is this cold water challenge. Basically a person get nominated to jump in a local body of water, must be done within 24 hours of the nomination, record it, post it on facebook.....then nominate 3 more people.  If you do not want to do it you have to donate to a local charity.  We live in the upper part of Wisconsin. our bodies of water still had ice on them less then a month ago. they run between 35-40 degrees right now. kids are getting hurt all over the place. the coast guard, Dr's, and police are warning of the dangers as well.  

The idea started out innocent enough, and I am totally fine with donating to a local charity, but this challange in my opinion has switched from something good to now kids daring others kids to do sometime potentally unsafe. 

I am very proud of my 15 year old son. He sees the dangers in this "challenge" and will not do it and I will not allow him to do this challenge even if nominated.  

Would you allow your teen to do this challenge? 

by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM
No I would not.
lucky3x
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

It's silly but no worse then the polar bear plunge on Jan. 1st.

SkinFairy
by New Member on May. 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I live in Cali and some of my team is doing this. My company is the Top Contributor to Big Brothers Big Sisters so thats our main focus, the goal is to raise 1 million dollars to donate. However, we dont have any icey lakes here so instead they just pour a bucket of cold water over your head. I would NOT let my child jump in a cold lake for Any reason. I had no clue the different ways people are doing this. Well you are a great mom and your son is pretty smart to if he isnt willing to risk his life. Thanks for sharing
ladymaleficent
by New Member on May. 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Sounds like the polar run
masonmom3
by New Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Yes. I did it and my 18 & 12 year olds did it also. I went first to make sure it was safe. It was all open water.

I am proud of them both for doing it. In our area (NW WI) it is all about cancer research. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Random kids or some sort of group is doing this?  I live in WI and haven't heard of it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)