Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should I let my going to be 15 year old do this

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I told my 14 going to be 15 year old daughter to pick a sport or activity in high school to keep her out of trouble. Well she picked hockey which I really should have seen coming. She has never played hockey but absolutely LOVES it and is a hockey fanatic and has beena die hard Chicago Blackhawks fan since as long as i can remember. She goes skating almost every Friday and loves it. I bought her hockey skates because the figure skate have a pick on the front and she doesn't like it. Now with these she's way better. She wants to take skating lessons over the summer but I cant find many for her age group nor can I find classes for beginners hockey for her ag that doesn't involve experience does anyone know where to look? I am also worries because there isn't a girls team at her school and I'm worried about her playing with the boys. I would gave her join a club but that usually involves experience. Should I be worried?

by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Honestly - I would ask her if she was comfortable being in a group for younger kids with the same amount of experience. As for the boys/girls thing -  let her try it. It varies from sport to sport but also from team to team. :)

StreetsAhead
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I've played hockey with men (and boys) since I was old enough to skate. I always found it fine, but it is the dynamic of the team that made to difference and you have to be tough to play with lads.

I agree ask how she feels about playing with those younger than her, a lot of teams may well let her join them for practice even if she doesnt have the experience yet to play. Ask her, at that age she is old enough to make her own choice

4HMomto3
by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:02 AM

If she doesnt have a problem with it then let her. As for where to find lessons, sorry no idea it will depend on your area and what around you. 

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Well yea I would worry, she's kind of old to be starting hockey.  Most players start very young.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Our neighbor girl kept up with the boys but she has been on the girls varsity team since HS.  We have a hockey rink at the HS here.  I would allow her to play and see how it goes.  Just an FYI, most have probably been playing since they are a young kid.  Neighbor girl started hockey in grade school. 

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I would not worry. I would contact the local ice rinks. Here is AZ they have a number of different classes and age groups. If you can skate they start you off higher. My daughter who is almost 12 now played for a while.

debbiekc1975
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:50 AM
If she is comfortable playing with the boys then I say let her....I love hockey ( always have) but when I was growing up they never let girls play ( I'm almost 40) and I wish I could have :-(
I would check with the local hockey associations and see if they offer learn to skate and learn to play hockey camps. I know they do here ( in northern Minnesota). Otherwise some of the colleges offer hockey camps and may have some insight into local learn to play camps. good luck! Hockey is a lot of fun!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN