Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you ask your kids where they are going?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 31 Replies

My girls are 11 and 15.  Niether of them can leave the house without me knowing where they are going and who the are going wtih . My 15 year old whenever she goes somewhere it usually requires a subway ride.  My son does not go out very often.  He'll stay out after school sometimes but once he's home he doesnt go out that often.  He's 17.  Yesterday  his friend showed up and my son said going out ma be back later.  I didnt ask him where he was going   I just said okay.  My dd got upset that it didnt dawn on me to ask him. The thing is i compeltely trust him.  I knew he would be somewhere in the neigborhood. I knew it was just to hang out. It was also in the middle of the day. Then she was upset that I didnt give him a "curfew" But again i know my son.  He would (and was) home by 7:30  8 the latest.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Yes the would have to at those ages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almburr
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Yep I even ask dd19 when she's home. I like to have a general idea of where they are headed
cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:03 PM
General idea. They usually offer up the information rather than me asking.
hissecondchance
by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Who,what,when,where,and why ... I ask for their safety and my peace of mind
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Yes I always know where my kids are going and who with, they also all have phones so I can call and check on them.

leahbeah143
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM

My daughter is 14, and I definitely ask where she's going, who she will be with, all that. When she's 17 it may be a little bit different.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My 20 somethings offer most of the time and I don't even ask.  Guess they are used to it, lol.  I just like to know if they won't be home or will be home around 2am.  Not like I stay up for them but nice if I wake up at 1am and they aren't home I know they will be home later. 

Quoting almburr: Yep I even ask dd19 when she's home. I like to have a general idea of where they are headed

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Today my 23 yo said she was going to work and might be home inbetween her shifts, she works a double, or she might not be home until 8 or 9.  I didn't ask her.  She offered the info. 

Texan35
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM
My daughter is 14, and I always ask who/what/where. But it's usually not a problem because she can't drive herself. She kind of has to tell me where if she wants to get anywhere. It might be different when she's 17. I think I'd still like to know. Like what if she's going to Starbucks? I'd ask her to bring me home a white mocha. ;)
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Depends on the kid. My eldest - I even ring her to ask her where she is or what's she going. She just doesn't have the sense to make good decisions; so I worry about her constantly. My son can wander around the street/neighborhood without needing to tell me EXACTLY where he's going as long as he does not enter into anyone's houses. My twin's don't have that same privliege. They're only allowed where I can see them. But - different kids do have different standards/rules in my house. Like dating - dating is based on maturity NOT age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN