Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are your teens working this summer?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 27 Replies

Both of my nephews will be working at my friends family business this summer before football practice starts in early August. 

Do your teens have a summer job lined up or will they be working in another capacity?

by on May. 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Ds1 will be taking 1 class online for summer school, and work the occasional day at our shop.

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

My oldest DD, 17, is working now and will hopefully work more hours in the summer.  She works at a pottery-painting shop. She loves it!

I've been encouraging my 14 YO DD to get a summer job as a camp counselor, but she has been saying she really just wants to chill out and relax this summer. She is still young--only turning 15 at the end of July--so I'm torn, but don't really want her to lay around sleeping all day and watching TV for 2 1/2 months. I need to keep working on her I guess.  :)

cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Mine work year-round.

My 17yr old works at a music store throughout the year (the kind that sells instruments, not CDs) and during the school terms he has a second job teaching piano at one of the local primary schools after school hours.

My 14yr old does medication deliveries for a pharmacy on her bike to elderly and housebound patients in the area. Once she hits the 'magic age' of working here, which is 14 and 9 months she wants a retail job though. She hits that age in 3 weeks and at the moment it's all we hear about.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM

My son will very likely be in summer school which is where i want his focus  but he'll do a few weeks as an intern and dh's work in august.  If not in summer school  he'splanning on hitting up a mcdonalds for a job. Preferrebly one near a Game stop  lol

My dd put in for Summer youth program and is hoping she gets that. She's also filiming a movie this summer and volunteering at the Botanical Gardens and the Library and the animal shelter.   she's going to be a busy little bee.

lakerfan420
by Jamie on May. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
My oldest (16 on the 22nd) has been working at a nursing home since Dec and is planning on picking up additional hours during the summer. My 14 year old babysits for a friend of mine on the weekends when she has OT, and will watch said child full time this summer since she's not happy with his current sitter (except for camp weeks and occasional days she wants off when my niece will sit for her). My 12 year old mows grass in the summer, and has done so for three years now and has built up eight regular clients that he also shovels snow for in the winter. I didn't want my kids taking on a regular job, but I allowed my oldest to when she found the job at the nursing home since she wants to enter the nursing field after graduation. She's technically in food service for the residents there which will have nothing to do with the surgical nurse she wants to become, but at least being in a related field I finally gave in. My babies are all growing up so fast! While that makes me sad, I'm so proud of them and the fantastic young adults they are quickly becoming. And while they're all working in some capacity this summer, at least all their jobs are flexible enough to still allow them time with friends and to do the camps that my 12 and 14 yr olds still do.
teensrmyworld
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

My son is 18 and just went from a part time job during the school year to another part time job that will turn into FT work over the summer.  He lovs working and earning his own cash.

disneymom2two
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

My son just finished his waterfront lifeguard certification so he's applying for lifeguarding jobs.

balagan_imma
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

DD is 14, DS1 is 16. Both will go to a sleepover camp for 3 weeks. It's a really cool camp that is a mix of learning how to establish a start up company, complete with mentoring, a regular camp with swimming, and sports and hiking, coupled with a religious Jewish component.

I'm not sure what DD will do when she comes back. I think she was going to ask the neighbor if she needs a mother's helper. DS1 has a paid internship with a data company. He might even get to travel to Austria for it.

And we also have our annual trip to CA.

the3Rs
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM
He's turning 15 and will be working as a pollinator (cornfields) for 6 weeks. He's only doing it to earn $$ to buy a gaming laptop, lol :)
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Not yet. My eldest is just 13, but on occasion my aunt let's him sweep hair from the floor at the salon and gives him a few bucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)