Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Would You Supply Your Teen with Birth Control?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

Proud Mom Leaves Son a Condom for Date Night (PHOTO)

by Maressa Brown

condoms on shelvesAlthough sex ed in schools continues to be a hot topic of debate, how parents deal with the subject at home is a different story. Some moms have an open dialogue with their kids on the subject, while others prefer to stay mum until asked, and meanwhile, there are moms supplying their teens with condoms in an effort to encourage safe sex.

One illustrated example: A photo of a note a mom supposedly (well, we're not 100 percent sure of its authenticity) wrote for her son, accompanied by a condom that she's encouraging him to use "if things get serious" when his girlfriend comes over. The pic has gone viral, and unsurprisingly, everyone has an opinion on just how advisable this is. Check it out ...

Tyrese Gibson
Musician/Band · 13,895,759 Likes
· May 12 at 3:48am ·

What would you do?

What would you do?

Why shouldn't we ALL be all for this?! Teens have sex. This is not a newsflash to anyone. And yet, a prevailing way of handling the subject is to keep our lips zipped with the hope that silence will encourage kids to keep their pants zipped. Or hoping and keeping our fingers crossed that they'll just figure out how to practice safe sex on their own, from school, or a Google search. But why settle for either of those strategies when you can actually empower them with knowledge and birth control?

Parents can't just assume their kids are going to go pick up their own condoms or birth control pills. Sure, if they're old enough to be having sex, they should be responsible enough to do that. But you never know. And even if they do have birth control at hand, it doesn't hurt to reiterate the extremely important point that if you're going to do it, do it safely, in a way that minimizes risk of disease or unwanted pregnancy.

And no, arming them with condoms isn't necessarily encouraging them to have sex. A World Health Organization review of studies on sexuality education found that access to counseling and contraceptive services did not encourage earlier or increased sexual activity.

So there you go. It couldn't be more clear that condoms to kids does them more good than harm. For any parent who wants the best for their teen, it's really a no-brainer!

What do you think about this mom's note to her son?

Would you or have you ever supplied your child with birth control?

by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
3 moms liked this

I've seen that pic before, LOL.  I doubt it is authentic.  I've always told my girls (repeatedly) that they just need to let me know if they get to that stage.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm going out and buying condoms no questions asked the second they tell me they're 'ready.'  But my oldest, at 16, had dated her boyfriend for 6 months and she wrote me a letter saying that she was concerned sex was imminent, so we sat down and talked and I once again voiced all my concerns (they were too young, the relationship more than likely would not last, the emotional devastation from a breakup is far worse when you've been physically intimate, etc., etc.).  However, I did get her some condoms, because the last thing I wanted was for both of them to ruin their futures with an unplanned pregnancy.  I wanted her to have all the information but then, as her mom, I felt it was also my job to protect her. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

No, I never would promote sex. 

lakerfan420
by Jamie on May. 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I take my oldest dd (16 next week) for her shot every three months, and would do the same for my other kids if/when that time comes. I know from prior posts in here that many people view that as promoting it, but it's actually quite the opposite. They have enough freedom and opportunities to have sex whenever they want, and yet haven't in months. I know some are going to say yeah they have and just aren't telling me, but I believe them. Why would they have to lie, they know we love them both and are perfectly ok with it. They try hard to abstain because they both identify as Christians and feel it is morally wrong, even though they do plan on getting married after they both graduate. Even last year when we took them on a two week trip to CA and they were left alone in a hotel room twice where there would have been opportunity to, they were proud of themselves for not. I know most don't agree with this but they get plenty of alone time, even in her room with the door closed, and yet their preference is to cuddle up together and watch a movie. Now that's not to say they never have or that they'll be able to avoid temptation for another two years, but I'm not going to treat them like little kids when they've been upfront and mature about the whole thing all along. I feel they deserve that respect and that in part because they don't have to sneak around that the forbidden factor has been taken away. Doesn't mean that they're not hormonal teenagers in love who may slip up from time to time, hence the bc just in case. I will admit I'm ok with it mostly because of how deep their relationship is and I agree with them that they really have a chance to make it. If it was just casual sex or they weren't committed to each other as they are, I wouldn't be as happy for them as I am and would try to discourage as much as possible. But I'd still allow access to bc as I'm not trying to become a grandma in my 30's. Yes I was a teenager (17) when I had her so I know from experience that when teens want to have sex, they will find a way with or without approval. I think I still have awhile with my 14 yr old dd who doesn't date yet, by choice, but the lines of communication are always open. She even found some new friends this year (8th grade) as some of her old friends have become boy crazy and that's just not her. Yet, because I know that day will come eventually.
diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

No, I never would promote sex. 

Beachdeprived
by on May. 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM

A. What do I think of the note? I think it's stupid and irresponsible and I would talk to my child rather than putting a note on the fridge and if my child was having a  gf/bf come over, there would not be an opportunity for them to have sex. It's like saying "oh by the way, you'll have the house alone tonight when you GF is here so here ya go... suit up son before you take the plunge!"

B. My child is only 12 so no, I have not supplied birth control but would I put her on the pill one day...... YES! BUT....BIG BUT here... it would not be because I was saying " here honey,,, go get laid tonight"... it would go with a conversation... a lengthy indepth conversation merely regarding her protection, the choices she makes  and that I have expectations but also do not want her to have to something unplanned happen. I'm not talking about doing this at 14 or something but I was out of high school the first I did it, which was with my husband, and my mom NEVER EVER had a talk with me... about protection or anything and things happen... I never want my daughter in a situation like this! 

Angmomquita
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM
5 moms liked this
I have told my DD to let me know when she's starting to feel ready for that huge step and we would go together to get her the shot and buy her condoms. I don't want her pregnant too young or getting any STD's. Kids will do it rather you protect them or not. Even if you preach about abstinence. That's why there have been babies born to teens all throughout history. Hormones are a bitch and so is temptation. I choose being open about sex and showing her how to be responsible.
8chickens
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Diapers, formula, etc. vs birth control? No brainer for me. Pack of condoms is soooo much cheaper.

4HMomto3
by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I will provide birth control for all my kids when they become sexual active. I want it to be available if they need it , I dont want them making the excuse that they were to shy to buy it or didnt know where to get it. I will of course have many talks and hope my kids come to me. I will not promote sex but would like them prepaired if it should happen. It take only one time to make a mistake. 

As for the pics, well considering the pin goes right thru the middle of the condom I really hope it wasn't a real mom trying to give her son a condom.  

Texan35
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM
4 moms liked this
I think the pic is supposed to be a joke, since there's a thumbtack in the middle of the condom.

I will supply my dd with birth control. I've been considering doing it soon. She starts high school next year.

I don't want her to have sex, I hope she waits. But I also know things can happen and I want her to be prepared and know I won't judge her for it. I think promoting safe sex is better than not addressing it at all. I can't be with dd every waking moment nor make her decisions for her. But I can educate her and make sure she's prepared.
ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:58 PM

NO. No. and NO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)