Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Moms with kids that have a boyfriend or girlfriend....

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

What does your son's or daughter's boyfriend or girlfriend call YOU?  My teen daughter has a boyfriend that we have become really close with both him AND his family.  He has been calling me "Mrs. L" (my last name) and I don't really like it that much honestly - makes me feel old -haha.  I would rather him either just call me by my first name or even "mom".  Is that weird? 

by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Yes, all kids called me Mrs, B (last name).  It is respectful I think.  A few good friends of my dd's called me Mom later on when they came around for years. 

I think it is weird you think it seems like you are old. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM

DD is 20.  her boyfriend of 3 years says yes maam, no sir and is so respectful and calls us Mr and Mrs.  We appreciate that. 

lovinlife0429
by on May. 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

My DD's boyfriend of 7 years, called me Mom.  My son's girlfriend, honestly, in 3 years, I have never heard me call me anything.  She never addresses me by my name or anything. I think its just a "hey you there", kind of thing.  lol

fairybaby55
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I'm wondering if 's different for girls.  I have never called my MIL "mom" but always used her first name.  But I have never been THAT close with her either. 

Quoting lovinlife0429:

My DD's boyfriend of 7 years, called me Mom.  My son's girlfriend, honestly, in 3 years, I have never heard me call me anything.  She never addresses me by my name or anything. I think its just a "hey you there", kind of thing.  lol

Angmomquita
by New Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM
I would see him calling me Mrs. W as a sign of respect and good upbringing. However, I would let him know he could call me by my first name. I would personally never want him to call me Mom unless they were engaged or married.
Beachdeprived
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Well, I know how calling your Mrs. makes you feel old and I went throught that too in my 30's. I always felt like someone was calling my MIL if they called me Mrs. C.... but ultimately it is a sign of respect and I could not fault someone for that. When the kids were little, they all called me Mrs. Angela but now it's Mrs. C and I do not correct them. I used to in the past but I saw an article once that talked about kids who call you Mr and Mrs. and you should not correct them as they have been raised to be that way and it would almost be a slap in the face to the parent who taught them to be respectful.  I don't want to be out of line here but I don't know that "mom" at this stage of the game is appropriate. His mom, even though you are friends with her, could take offense to it and the boy may not even feel comfortable calling you that. What if he literally called your Mrs. L rather than the full last name... you know, like Mrs. C for Cunningham like they did on Happy Days. LOL ( I just dated myself). They are freshman right... I think right now the Mrs. is a good thing to stick with.
BTW... I despise my in-laws so the names of what I call them are not appropriate for this site. HA HA HA!!!

Niccalyn
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM

My daughters' boyfriends call me 'Mrs. (my last name)'.  If anything, lol.  Most of the time my oldest daughter's boyfriends don't address me. Her current one says 'Hiya!' when he sees me.

My 14-year-old has a friend who calls me 'Mommy (first initial of first name)'.  My 9-year-old's friends mostly call me 'Miss (my first name)'. 

I'd be fine with any of them calling me by just my first name, so I just accept however they choose to address me...if they're comfortable with it, it's okay with me.  Interestingly most of the kids address my husband by his first name, but not me!

cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM
They call me by my first name.

I don't like "Mrs. Surname" because mine is just too much of a mouthful.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I kept my maiden name when I married DH and our kids have our last names hyphenated. DS's girlfriend calls me Mrs. (the hyphenated last name). I'm fine with it but honestly I'm most comfortable being called (my kid's name)'s mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)