Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are you going to buy your teen a car?

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you buying your teen a car?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

If you are will you also pay the insurance or have the teen pay it? 

by on May. 16, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MidwestMama55
by on May. 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. They drive to school every day (no buses). We pay the insurance as their job is school. When they get out of school and have their own job, they pay the insurance.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Why would we buy them a car when we dont even have one! LOL

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM

We bought our oldest a car when he got his license. It was used. He had to pay 1/2 the insurance and for gas. The following year he had to share the car with his sibling. Same deal with 2nd kid. It worked out great. They rarely needed the car at the same time. DH and I each have a car, so there was never any problems.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

wakymom
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM

No, we won't. When he gets his license, he will get use of our cars. Dh has mentioned getting a new vehicle for us and passing down his to him, but that's not set in stone. He will have to pay for gas, but I don't remember talking about who will cover the insurance.

cybcm
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. They buy their own. Until then, we have a fantastic public transport service.
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM

We did for both of our girls. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on May. 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM
No.
ame19
by on May. 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My BF has an old truck that runs great and is paid off, but he will fix it up a little more for our son when he turns 16. My parent's bought me my first car, but my dad is the one that picked one out for me so it was not a brand new sports car or anything just a decent car to get me from point A to point B. I paid for gas, oil, oil filter, tires if it needed them, windshield wipers, battery... everything for the car. I worked for my dad, had another job, had great grades, and was involved in school activities. I was busy, but found a happy balance. Then when I got older and got my own vehicle my brother started to drive and it became his car and he had to do the same. I expect the same with our son, but we'll see how it goes.

ItsaJOB
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM

No.  AND, the reason is, it will be the ONLY leverage you have left should there be any 'incidences' that may need a consequence.  It has worked well that way.

StreetsAhead
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Nope

He could live without one, even though we have a few years (age is 17 here) before we think about it (I was in my 20s when I learnt, peaks of being a city girl I guess)

However if he passes he can go on the insurance on one of the cars (wouldnt make him pay). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)