Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

14 yr old daughter is dealing with abdominal cramps on daily basis..

Posted by on May. 29, 2014 at 7:43 AM
  • 33 Replies

My 14 yr old is dealing with abdominal cramps on a daily basis. Taking her to drs. appts to try to find out what's causing it and so far nothing is showing. When you push down on her abdomine, she says it doesn't hurt, but she's doubling over in such pain and don't know what to do. Feel so bad for her and they have given her tylenol with codeine for the pain but it doesn't do anything so she's stopped taking it. I've tried mentraul stuff and that's not working. I'm begining to wonder if it's not stress related. 

We have moved a bit more then I care to have, and I think that's worn on her nerves and she misses down south but I did this last move for better for the both of us. I don't drive and wasn't able to get around so I came her e to Rome, NY to my sisters so that I could get around and take care of her better. You know, being able to get groceries to feed her with out stressing how I was going to get it. 

We haven't done the GI testing yet, but that is next visit we have to go yet. Have a GI appt on the 6th and hoping in a way that when they start checking her out it might show some thing.. She has missed soo much school and when I mention doing a little bit of her school work so I can get it handed in it kicks in even more.. 

Sorry venting here.. I'm so burned out worrying about her and also getting frusterated..some days I take it out on her and she's getting so moody cause of the pain and cramping she's going through.. 

by on May. 29, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4HMomto3
by on May. 29, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Sounds like it started out as cramps but now she uses them as an excuse to get out of school and school work or to just gets what she wants. Could she be faking and being dramatic?  Please don't use the moving as an excuse. My oldest DD was in 4 different schools by time she was in 4th grade, we've moved out of state away from all family and friends as well yet she stays on high honor roll . All of my kids have adjusted to moving around. I know every kid is different , but seriously you make an excuse the kid is going to use it against you or your going to feel guilty and let her get away with everything , just saying.  When you see the doc, don't forget to mention how it mysteriously get worse at the mention of homework. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine moved a lot and never had issues.  If the GI finds nothing maybe it is mental or she is faking.  I guess you will find out soon. 

cdandria
by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I'm not making it an excuse.. Up until we moved here 2 mths ago she has been an honor student . Always went to school, made sure she had her home work done.  Even the school councelor has made the comment how she was a honor student and moved here with honor's(A's and maybe a B here and there) for grades. She's been a honor student since she started school. 

Quoting 4HMomto3:

Sounds like it started out as cramps but now she uses them as an excuse to get out of school and school work or to just gets what she wants. Could she be faking and being dramatic?  Please don't use the moving as an excuse. My oldest DD was in 4 different schools by time she was in 4th grade, we've moved out of state away from all family and friends as well yet she stays on high honor roll . All of my kids have adjusted to moving around. I know every kid is different , but seriously you make an excuse the kid is going to use it against you or your going to feel guilty and let her get away with everything , just saying.  When you see the doc, don't forget to mention how it mysteriously get worse at the mention of homework. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Maybe she needs counseling then. 

Quoting cdandria:

I'm not making it an excuse.. Up until we moved here 2 mths ago she has been an honor student . Always went to school, made sure she had her home work done.  Even the school councelor has made the comment how she was a honor student and moved here with honor's(A's and maybe a B here and there) for grades. She's been a honor student since she started school. 

Quoting 4HMomto3:

cdandria
by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I have and done it all and I can't physically drag her by the arm to take her to school.. told the drs. everything . I don't leave out a thing.. I even have talked to her about how important it is..

Quoting 4HMomto3:

4HMomto3
by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM

What did the doctor say?      

Quoting cdandria:

I have and done it all and I can't physically drag her by the arm to take her to school.. told the drs. everything . I don't leave out a thing.. I even have talked to her about how important it is..

Quoting 4HMomto3:

cdandria
by on May. 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Yeah have the same thing in my thoughts... have a drs. appt to see who I can take her to next for that..

Quoting atlmom2:

Maybe she needs counseling then. 

Quoting cdandria:

Quoting 4HMomto3:

iwashere
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM

You know, this could be stress. Everyone handles change differently. I moved many, many times as a child and everyone in my family handled it in their own way. Some were stressed (um, me) and some loved it (one of my siblings). Add to that the fact that's she's a teenager and bam! It's like the perfect storm of anxiety.

I'd try counseling. It's very easy to lose your self-confidence when you are constantly changing your surroundings and having to put yourself out there to make new friends.

Beachdeprived
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I was just talking to my neighbor and she was telling me that her daughter had a stomach issue similar to this...doubling over in pain but she had a lot of vomiting associated with it.  It turned out to be diverticulitis and I guess they found several inflammations during surgery... they removed her appendix too to be on the safe side. Hopefully the GI testing will reveal the issue. Wishing you the very best!!

EarlGrayHot
by on May. 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM

If she's really sick you have no business "taking it out on her."  It's possible she is stressed or being bullied.  The GI test should have been done long ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)