Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

I'm upset over bar mitzvah that my son was invited too.

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son was invited to a classmates bar mitzvah ceremony. He was told that the celebration/party would be at a later date. He was also told that in order to go to the party he had to go to the ceremony. My son and about 20 other children attended the ceremony, which was about 3 hours long. My son just found out that he and one other kid are no longer invited to the party. I feel this is very wrong and want to call the parents of this boy to express my disappointment.
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graybealgirl
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Did you ask the boys parents what happened
Happyfeet66
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I never met his parents because another parent drove the kids to the bar mitzvah ceremony. I picked them up after the ceremony. I have the parents phone number because it is on the bar mitzvah ceremony invitation.
sahlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

that does seem odd.... both that the party is a different day and that they would un-invite him.  did he behave during the ceremony?

btw.... we never allowed our kids to go to the party with out attending the ceremony.  I find that incredibly rude... kind of like going to the wedding reception with out attending the wedding.  (yes, there were some families that requested this... but those were few and far between)

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Did the honoree speak before he should have?  I am thinking that perhaps they only had so many places available or did they sent out invites and then rescind them?

SnapIt
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

ok... if the invite was word of mouth through the child, more than likely the parents didnt know who their son invited without handing an actual invite

kids do this a lot. Make plans without the parents knowledge

so I wouldnt get all heated, I would teach my kid that sometimes these things happen and that maybe just maybe their was some confusion as to how many kids he could invite and he probably didnt tell his parents who he said could come.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM

It is wrong but I certainly wouldn't call the parents.  Sadly, this is kinda the way life is today.  Move on. 

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Reading through the responses - I think you should call the parents if only to find out why this happened.  Hopefully there is an explanation for this, because, I would find uninviting someone incredibly rude, especially without an explanation.  I am hoping this was a misunderstanding, and the children will remain friends.

Happyfeet66
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM
My son received an invitation to the ceremony which said celebration at a later date. I could just let it go, but I really feel that someone should say something to the parents it's actually very insensitive what they did. He sat through a boring 3 hour ceremony so he could go to the party along with many of his friends.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely call the parents to ask what happened.

Quoting Happyfeet66: My son received an invitation to the ceremony which said celebration at a later date. I could just let it go, but I really feel that someone should say something to the parents it's actually very insensitive what they did. He sat through a boring 3 hour ceremony so he could go to the party along with many of his friends.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Personally, I would stay out of it. Was it right? No. Would I be curious about what happened? Yes. Would I interfere w/ my teen's social life? Unless it's a case of true bullying, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)