Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

For those wtih children in or graduated college

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 11 Replies

So my dd is finishing up her Sophomre year this month.   they've given her paperwork and she has to sign up with this website via the school to track stuff etc.. She is also suppose to start narrowing down her choices for college.  she has a top 10 list but thats just the ivies plus 2 schools outside the country.  Then she has a top 50 but i'm not sure she's properly made that list. So what criteria did your kids have when looking at schools. She's realy hoping for an IVY but fully aware that she might not get in to one.  the only thing she's sure of is that she wants a school outside NY  but I'm pretty sure she'll be happy with one thats just not in the NYC area.

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

My dd didn't even consider looking at colleges till between her junior and senior year when she went on college visits. Well maybe spring her junior year.  Her criteria was she didn't want any schools in our state of Wisconsin.  We suggested that if that was the case she might want to look at schools around our family in Indiana.  That is what she did.  With that she visited Indiana State, Indiana U, Ball State, U of Dayton, and Miami of Ohio.  She applied to 4 (hated Miami of Ohio), got into all 4.  Her first choice was U of Dayton and that is where she just finished up her sophomore year. 

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:35 AM

According to this time line paperwork she gave me most of it needs to be done spring of junior year.  Altho she is suppose to start narrowing down her choices in the fall.She's suppose to have a larger list by september then then  By january she is suppose to have a list of 3 safety schools, 2 probable match schools and 2 reach schools.  In order for my dd to come up with that specific of a list she has to really start getting serious about what she's looking for and what criteria she needs to look for .    It takes her a while to make decisions.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like a conservative timeline.  I don't know anyone that narrowed down by spring junior year.  Most went on college visits spring break junior year and during the summer between junior and senior year.  Then narrowed down their choices late summer and started applications later summer and fall.  I agree with the safe schools.  Everyone should have a couple.  Ball State and Indiana State were her safe schools.  She got into Indiana State a month after applying.  Ball State was actually her 2nd choice and probably the best fit for her.  Kids change majors so much that is another reason so not actually narrow too much till you are applying really.

Quoting Msgme:

According to this time line paperwork she gave me most of it needs to be done spring of junior year.  Altho she is suppose to start narrowing down her choices in the fall.She's suppose to have a larger list by september then then  By january she is suppose to have a list of 3 safety schools, 2 probable match schools and 2 reach schools.  In order for my dd to come up with that specific of a list she has to really start getting serious about what she's looking for and what criteria she needs to look for .    It takes her a while to make decisions.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM

School size, location, and majors available were important considerations.  My daughter did not want to be more than 5 hours away.  

suesues
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 7:35 AM

location away but able to get home if had too. go look at some schools this summer if possible. Mine  was so sure she wanted to dorm did it for 1 yr then decided to tranfer to local location so now she is home 

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Wow, really?  They want her to decide when she has just finished her sophomore year?  We didn't really talk about that stuff until late Junior year. 

lucky3x
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:40 AM

She has a top 50 list?! That is way too many to even wrap my mind around! We started junior year looking at colleges that have her major or are well known for that major. We also took into consideration size of school and location. And of course price and scholarship opportunities. That should narrow it down. Then we started colleges visits.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Agree, mine only looked at 5 total.  I know most look at 20 at the very most that I have heard of.  Too many to narrow down.  Most I know go on school visits to 10 at the most and apply to 6 to 8.  Applications cost money to send in.  Of course most I know where not looking at Ivy league or anything.  A neighbor girl did get into Harvard grad school for next year though.  Grad school is different than undergrad though.  She applied undergrad and was turned down. 

Quoting lucky3x:

She has a top 50 list?! That is way too many to even wrap my mind around! We started junior year looking at colleges that have her major or are well known for that major. We also took into consideration size of school and location. And of course price and scholarship opportunities. That should narrow it down. Then we started colleges visits.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM

its not actually a "TOP" 50  more of just a list of 50 that she likes.  Whenever she likes a school from  a college fair or she liked one for one of the many books on good colleges or have sent her mail and she checked out online that she liked she put it on the list.  The list was actually bigger at one time  lol.  She wasn't expecting to have to narrow any of it down until the end of junior year but her High school starts the process sooner than expected.

Quoting lucky3x:

Maime13
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM

My oldest is leaving for college in a couple of months. I don't know about buzz marketing websites, but there is a college related website that has a lot of useful information regarding college applications, finding the right fit, etc. It's initals are CC. There is lots of frustrating people and trolls but if you weed through it can be a great resource.

She needs to be planning her testing, looking at previous years essays from her top picks, deciding what is important to her in a school and talking with you about finances and what college she can reasonably afford to attend. She needs to continue to schedule the most rigorous classes offered at her school. If her school ranks students, she needs to be aware of her ranking and how important it is to various schools. She also needs to keep in mind acceptance rates of each school when selecting where she'll apply and make sure she includes a couple with  higher acceptance rates. She also needs to arrange her college choice realistically based on her stats and the college's avg stats.  Each school releases a report that will allow you to see tons of vital information called the Common Data Set. Look at the for every school that she is remotely interested in. It is so useful! It will even tell you what each school considers critical/important/not important/etc in regards to things like test scores, gpa's, rankings, interviews...

Without ACT or SAT test scores it is hard to start narrowing. Has she taken the PSAT? That would give a hint at what range she might score. I highly recommend she test early in her Jr year to allow for retesting.

As for school criteria she might consider...

-cost

-common data set and how she fits into the picture stats-wise

-size

-special programs or majors ...For example many LAC's don't offer engineering, so if she new she wanted a LAC and wanted to major in engineering, that would narrow her search immediately.

-to the former, accredation in program of interest

-location in proximity to home. Climate. Geography.

She needs to make sure that she is 100% ready to attend all the schools to which she applies. That is critical, even the "safety" schools.In the end, you never know how the acceptances will shake out and how much $$ will be offered.

If possible visit as many different types of schools as you can. Big, small, public, private, etc. If visiting isn't possible there are online video tours available for nearly every school. (another website to check has the initials CP, message me for names I guess?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)